19.11.13

Girl's swimmers


I took advantage of the purple thread in my overlocker (from dance costumes) to sew my niece a birthday present.  These swimmers turned out rather cute, if I do say so myself.

For the bottoms, I used Jalie 2564, which seems to be OOP.  I always add to the front sides of this pattern, as the front is much narrower than the back.  This time, after I compared the cut-out pieces to some RTW swimmers, I decided to reduce the crotch length as well...maybe swimmers have a closer fit than underpants?  The ruching at the side seams was my modification.  I haven't heard how well they fit her yet, so fingers crossed.


For the top, I used Jalie 2563, with one modification.  The pattern is designed for fold-over elastic, but I make my own binding instead.  I added the metal loop, bringing all the straps to a centre point, which leaves a cute little cut-out below the loop.  I didn't make the straps adjustable...instead, I have left them for my sister to finish at the correct length.

The lycra is from The Fabric Store in Brisbane.

6 comments:

Summer Flies said...

Oh really cute. I like the back meeting and the rushing on the sides.

Dawn said...

SO flipping cute!

Sue said...

She will love them - they are adorbale!

Gail said...

You really a good at swimsuits. The queen of wet wear!

Gabrielle said...

This is so cute - your swim wear really inspires me!

Joy said...

Super cute suit! I love the fabric, as well as the details you added.