Now that I've read all about the styles and colours that suit me, I know that this dress is not my best. Still, I get a lot of satisfaction from drafting my own patterns, so I will probably wear it anyway. Maybe I will dye it, still deciding.
To make this dress, I started with the shift dress I drafted a few months ago, with French darts, a pleated front and big sleeves. I then overlay the sleeves from a Hotpatterns shirt pattern (Boho-de-Luxe Peasant Blouse). These sleeves seemed very full when I first made the top, but don't look so silly now that puffy sleeves are everywhere. The raglan sleeves lowered the bodice so that the pleats were blow my bustline, rather than above it, but I didn't mind this. I didn't want a gathered neckline, so I put the bodice on my body double to adjust the raglan seam. I then pleated the sleeves, rather than gathered them. This fabric is a cotton / hemp blend that frays badly, so I just overlocked the sleeve hem rather than attempt to bind it. The sleeve hems are just pinned into pleats at the moment...not sure if this will be the final shape I want or not.
Whilst I'm here, I'll do a pattern review for the Boho-de-Luxe peasant top that I never got around to reviewing when I made it. Photos below.