10.12.19

Finally, a hat

I have been meaning to sew a hat for ages.  In fact, I cut up a very old and worn hat about 15 years ago, with plans to make a new version.  The hat pieces ended up in one of my pattern boxes and it has taken until now to bring that project to fruition.


The outer fabric is a Nani Iro Mountain View Canvas left over from a dress.  The inside is a linen cotton blend.  I have added a woven, sew-in interfacing in the brim. 


 This inside shot shows that I have not made the hat reversible.  Instead, I have used a soft ribbon to cover the seams from attaching the brim to the hat.  I have copied this method from the original hat, only the original used a bias casing instead of a ribbon, and threaded a tie through the casing so that the hat could be tightened.  This is a good idea, but I remember the tie always being undone because I don't like things being tight on my head.  I'll just have to hold the hat on in the wind.


The wide brim gives plenty of shade, as shown in the next couple of photos.



The hat and t-shirt in these photos are both new today.  I whipped up the t-shirt before changing out the matching thread on the overlocker from a previous project.  Gotta minimise thread changes!  The pattern is the Basic InstincT by secondo piano.  The fabric is a rayon lycra jersy from Imagine Gnats (no longer available).  Because the fabric is much drapier than the one I used in my previous version of this pattern, I ran the sides in a little more and hemmed the sleeves a bit shorter.  I also rounded the hem on this version.  I probably should have sized down a pattern, to take the shoulders up a bit as well, but I wanted to sew this up quickly and did not want to trace off a new size. 

No comments: