20.8.19

#BRAugust2019

Okay, so this is not Instagram, but in celebration of #BRugust, I thought that I would post some of my unblogged undies from the past few months.

First up is a pair of knickers cut from leftovers of a t-shirt I made my daughter. This is the back view.  The cotton is fairly substantial, so I made it a quick sew by cutting them as one piece and not even bothering with a gusset.


I made this sports bra to fit in with last year's workout wardrobe entry.  I modified the Sewaholic Dunbar sports bra  to have the strappy back and used fold-over elastic for the edges.



The next sports bra was made from some interesting fabric I picked up from Tessuti.  It appears to be two layers of nylon lycra bonded together.   I separated the layers in the non printed edge of the fabric to source fabric for the bindings.  It is a very supportive bra, but the fabric is not the softest, so I probably should have used something else for the bindings.  The pattern is one I made from cutting up a RTW bra years ago and have made over and over. I used the leftover fabric to make a super quick skirt for my daughter, which was essentially two almost rectangles sewn together at the side seams, with the top folded over to make an elastic casing, and not even a hem. 




The next set is more of a lounging set, as they are not particularly supportive.  It is the Barrett bralette from Madalynne, in a microrib knit.  One of the knickers is traced off RTW and the other is the Megan Nielsen Acacia


Next, the Hanna bralette by Studio Costura.  I'm not sure, but I think these knickers might be the Watson brief, by Cloth Habit.  I don't have a favourite underwear pattern.  I have a collection of maybe 6 or 7 patterns and just use what I feel like on the day, taking into consideration the fabric I am using.  This set, made from Dutch knit t-shirt scraps, has become my go-to, as it is super comfy as well as being a little bit pretty.


This week I finally got around to making a matching Jalie3131 bra for these Jalie 3886 Julia briefs, which are also Dutch knit leftovers.  You can see the briefs have faded already.  I tried to make a Julia bra, but it was a disaster, due to my elastic choice and pattern size.  The elastic on the bottom of this bra band is so firm that I have had to add an extra set of hooks to get it to close.  I haven't worn it yet, but I'm hoping it is as comfy as my previous versions.


Pretty good scrap busting!  I like my underwired bras, but bralettes are fabulous for using up scraps, and new knickers are always welcome.

5 comments:

Soposie said...

I love all of those! Love especially the Jalie 3131 and the RTW gray/white. Inspiring! I have had the Barrett bralette cut out for a year now and have not sewn it together. And the Hanna bralette looks like exactly what I've been looking for to make for my teen daughter - pretty use of lace but not overkill for a small bust. Alas, I've been suffering from lack of interest in actual sewing for several months now. My sewing room is a disaster bc new kitten loves to go in there and pull yarn/fabric/ribbons out of storage and strew them around the room. I am getting a lot of reading done though...

Audrey said...

Enjoyed looking at your undies. Mine are so plain and boring in comparison

katherine h said...

My sewing mojo ebbs and flows as well. Tidying up my sewing space is always a surefire way to set me off on a new project...bummer that I have to go through the tidying process though. The Hannah is a good one for teens...I have used it to make my teen niece a bikini.

katherine h said...

I have a lot of boring undies as well...but boring is the most versatile. These patterned ones go okay under drill cotton uniforms though, making dressing in a uniform just a bit more fun.

Tropical Threads said...

oooh I love the Dunbar sports bra ones - very funky! And the cat ones are fun :-) All of them are so beautiful :-)