5.4.17

Bucket Bag

I remember one of my sisters being so excited with a bucket bag she bought back in the eighties.  It makes me chuckle to see them back in fashion now.  When I studied on-line images for bucket bags, I saw that I lot of them had rectangular bases.  Circles always require accurate sewing, so I thought it would be easier to make a bucket bag with a rectangular base.





Fabric

  • outer - laminated cotton (Orla Kiely from The Fabric Store)
  • lining - cotton canvas
  • handle: webbing. I would like a better quality webbing, but this is all I could find locally, and I could not find a strap adjuster. If I find any on my travels, it will be easy enough to change out the handle
  • draw cord - leather strip, purchased as a bunck of leather scraps
  • drawcord "toggle" - leather
  • leather scraps used to attach the handles

If you would like to make a similar bag to this, these are the dimensions of my self-drafted pattern pieces.

I used 1 cm seam allowances.

  • main panel: 78.5 cm x 33 cm
  • base (outer and lining): 27 cm x 17 cm, corners rounded
  • lining: 2 panels 40.3 cm x 32 cm (a little shorter than the outer)
  • internal zippered pocket - to fit the zip I had on hand
  • 2nd internal pocket: 40.3 cm (width of lining panel) x 19 cm

2 comments:

Marigold said...

Love this! Great job.

Marigold said...

Love this! Great job.