Fehr Trade Duathlon Shorts
The exercise clothing I make would have to be my most wears-per-garment sewing projects. The washing cycle around here is not particularly short and I exercise most days, so I need plenty of exercise clothes. Ultimately, I get more satisfaction from sewing everyday items, such as exercise clothing or bras, than I do from sewing a dress that may only get worn once or twice a year. I think it is fabulous that patterns, fabrics and notions for these garments are more readily available now than they were when I first started sewing (though, I still do have to hunt them out...hopefully they will become even more available in the future).
I got to test out Melissa's Fehr Trade Duathlon pattern recently. The pattern comes in 3 lengths - capri, biker and booty and it has an optional sew-in padding for cyclists. First up I made the biker length. My legs are on the short side, so they are a bit longer on me than the design would suggest.
The stripe at the side has an in-built pocket. Melissa designed it to hold the i-phone 5, but in this stretchy lycra, I can squeeze my i-phone 4 + life proof cover (which I love!) into the pocket. At first I wasn't too excited by the contrast stripe at the side, but now that I am seeing different versions made up on the internet, I can how fabric choice makes for a really individual look. Some people have chosen to colour block the top half, some the bottom, and others both. My favourite so far would have to be Kathy's stripes.
Short shorts are my preferred running clothing, just because I live in a really hot climate, so I decided to give the booty length a whirl as well (though, it is a bit shorter and tighter than my typical shorts pattern). I made some changes to the pattern. I made them up in a chlorine resistant lycra, so that I could run to the pool and then swim in them (I have made a matching swim crop top, not pictured). I lined them with swim-wear lining. I shortened the side panel by about 6 cm and gathered the front and back sides to fit, which makes for a cute detail.
The top in this photo is a previously unblogged project, made from supplex, using Burda 6/2013 114.