9.3.14

Swimmers, 2014 version

These are the swimmers that I have made myself this summer.




This first pair were made by morphing my self-drafted halter top onto Jalie 2447 and, after reading reviews for the Jalie pattern, adding 3 inches of length.  It is a while since I made these, so I am a bit hazy on the construction, but I remember being pleasantly surprised by how easily the 2 patterns morphed together.   The bottoms are my basic self-drafted pattern.  The fabric was from The Fabric Store.  These swimmers have good coverage, so I felt quite comfortable wearing them to social occasions  that involved hanging about in swimmers with other people, say sipping champagne by the pool.



The next pair are not so suitable for public wearing, being on the skimpy side, but are my favourite.  They are very comfy, so great if I am going to be wearing them for a long time.  The pattern is from Patrones Extra No. 29 (5 Sujetador Halter & 6 Braguita Baja).  There are quite a few bikini patterns in this magazine and I was curious to see how they compared to my self-drafted patterns.

The top ended up a bit of a mess.  The edges are all self bound, as per the pattern, but there is no elastic in the straps, and the fabric is not what I call a strong lycra, so the top is not very supportive.  I think I'll steer clear of bound edges for bikini tops in the future, and stick to elasticated edges.  I changed it from a neck tie to a cross-over back, so that I don't have ties at my neck (no headaches!) or ties at my back (comfort sitting in the car).  I wore these to the beach a lot, with a swim shirt over the top.  The fabric is the same fabric that I used to make a bikini for my niece, so we were a little matchy-matchy on the holidays.

The popularity of the bombshell swimsuit pattern would suggest that sewing bloggers prefer good bottom coverage, but I subscribe to the theory that skimpier bikinis make your backside appear smaller.  If I have to cover my whole bottom, it takes a whole lotta fabric, and everyone can see how much fabric is needed.  If I sew a skimpier style, in a fabric that contrasts with my skin, if has a colour-blocking effect.  Try it!  You just might be surprised.


The last pair I made today, so I haven't tested them yet, but I am pretty happy with the fit.  The pattern is Jalie 3134.  I bought this pattern for my daughter, but have decided to give it a go for myself, although using fabric from my stash that I don't really love, in case it didn't work out.  I made a size W at the hips and slimmed to a size T at the top.    This was a little tricky to do, with the multiple pieces, so I kept my basic block beside me to help with the process.  After reading reviews, I also lowered the leg-line by 5cm.  I was worried about the length, as many reviewers seemed to need to add length to the pattern.  I thought I had a long torso, but my measurements compared well with the Jalie measurements and the length seems just right.  These are for swimming laps, now that my sporty bikini from last year is starting to perish.



This photo was taken at Memorial, a camping spot near here.  We know locals who jump off the cliffs into the water-hole below, but we also know people who have seen crocs there, so we didn't brave the pools.


We only sat in the waterfall at the top of the pool.  Some of the pools were quite deep, and now and then I got a scare when something did bite me....but only yabbies (I assume??) that didn't like us sharing their pools.







17 comments:

Megan O said...

Wow that tankini looks way better on than off. I like the neckline. I have scrutinised your photos for crocs and decided that, although there is something vaguely suspicious on the far bank of the lake, you were probably safe enough in the pools - apart from the yabbies and possible snakes and leeches!

Merche Martinez said...

Oh, look at you! What a great swimming spot! Love all your swimmers, the tankini looks fantastic and I must try that Patrones pattern, I blogged about the magazine but never made any of the models, shame on me!!!
You just made me want to start making bikinis!

liza jane said...

You may just convince me one of these days to try my hand at sewing my own swim suit. I am dreading looking for a suit for the beach vacations we have planned for this coming summer.

fabric epiphanies said...

Crocs.....yikes! The halter suit looks fantastic on you. I have plans to make one for next summer. I hope mine turns out as well. The colour blocking tip is interesting and is something I might give a go. I agree about swimsuits with too much fabric. I certainly don't want to look like the rear end if a bus!

Marie said...

What a spectacular swimming spot. You really have made yourself some lovely togs.

Summer Flies said...

I love all your togs! The tankini looks great on and I love the flower print on the bikini. I'm no expert Megan O but on a trip to the Northern Territory (croc country) it is commonly said for every one croc you see there are up to 15 you don't. So hard to resist those swimming spots though!

kbenco said...

Excellent swimmers. You've used such nice prints, and I am in awe of your finishing. I took the Jalie one piece with inserts out of the pattern envelope and put it straight back in again, it looked so fiddly, but yours is giving me second thoughts.

Sue said...

I am very jealous of your tog sewing ability. Something I still need to work on.

katherine h said...

I was surprised how easily it came together. I only lined the CF panel. I did have trouble with the coverstitch for the neck elastic, as it is a tight corner, so I will stick to zig-zag on my sewing machine next time.

Christy said...

I agree about the bomb shell pattern - more coverage makes bum look bigger. Looks like you scored some great fabric for these.

poppykettle said...

Love that Tankini - great use of the fabric's pattern. Gorgeous fabric on the bikini, too. One day I'll try sewing swimwear - especially if you keep inspiring me like this!

Karine said...

Sipping champagne by the pool, swimming with crocs and wearing gorgeous smimming suits...You are a James Bond's girl, right ? ;-)

katherine h said...

Oh Karine, you are funny! Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Gabrielle said...

More great swimmers - the fabrics look just right for the styles, and I think you're probably right on the bum coverage question. Those swimming holes look scary to me... I don't think I'd be jumping in!

Joy said...

I love seeing your swimwear - and such a nice variety, too. I have yet to make a set that I'm completely happy with. Your swimming scenery is just gorgeous. (I had to google "yabbies"!)

Crab and Bee said...

I'm considering tackling my first swimsuit this week, and this post was so inspiring! Your suits look very professional. And I have a construction question for you - do you serge your elastic to the fabric (on the legs, for instance) before folding it over and sewing it down? Also, I subscribe to your theory on coverage - I don't want anything scandalous, but having a bit less coverage seems to take some visual width out that can happen with the full-coverage bottoms.

Amy said...

I love your choices in pretty swim fabrics. I've had trouble finding good ones so I stuck to solids. I also like your theory about the backside ;).