Underwater Dreaming Dress
Can you tell that I've been playing around with the self timer? Trouble is, I'm not sure how to get the photo to focus on me, and not the background, which means that the details of this dress are a little obscured, sorry.
Fabric: "Underwater Dreaming", printed silk satin from Tessuti
Pattern: Vogue 8529, previously made in a silk jersey
This fabric was a gift from Colette. The colours are divine and the shine is really opulent. In spite of all this fabric gorgeousness, it has taken me a year to make it up. It was that whole stripe dilemma thingy. I would sit down at the table, pattern and scissors in hand and go...stripes across? stripes up and down? to the mirror. pin. pin. pin. oh, I don't know. an hour later, put everything away again.
Genius that I am, it only took a year to figure out that I could mix them up a bit. No project runway deadlines in this house!
The wide hem band and the princess seams give the back of the dress a bit of a mod look. The front cowl does not drape as nicely as my jersey version. It is possible (can't quite remember) that I changed the grain of the pieces to get the stripes how I wanted them, so this may be my fault, rather than the pattern drafting. I love the colours. When I slipped it on during a late night sewing session, I suddenly looked a whole lot less tired, so one of these colours must be "my" colour. Just need to figure out which one.
The fabric did fray. It would have been nice to use French seams, but I wanted to fit as I went, rather than make a muslin, so I just finished my seams with an overlocker.