1.6.08

My pattern contest - part 1




Pattern Review are holding a "MY pattern" contest. This is good timing for me, because I have been thinking about sewing something similar to the Chloe skirt shown above (which net-a-porter lists for almost 300 pounds).

After studying the photographs, I have made the following notes:

  • A-line skirt
  • no side seams
  • the skirt back is on the straight grain
  • the front of the skirt is mostly on the bias
  • the centre front top of the skirt is on the straight grain
  • there is a vertical seam on the left side, a little bit in from where the side seam would be, extending down to about the hip bone.
  • there is a centre back seam
  • there are side back seams, positioned probably where a dart would normally go
  • the centre back section has a wide "wasitband"
  • exposed centre back zipper
  • the skirt is lined
  • in my size, the length is 19.5 inches. On me, this would be about knee length, but the model is rather tall
I am thinking about making the skirt in a dark, light-weight denim, because it seems the most suitable fabric in my stash. I am going to play around with chainstitching on my coverstitch machine...if I can get the hang of it, I might top-stitch the draped pleats with a chain stitch. I will face the waistband rather than line the skirt (being denim and all). I'm not sure that I like the exposed zipped, so I may use a lapped zipper instead.

No comments: