14.4.08

A no-kimono kimono bag

I was inspired by the bag made out of a kimono sleeve in a recent addition of Threads ... alas I did not have a kimono, let alone a kimono sleeve to spare. There is, however, a local store called "The Quilted Kimono" which sells Japanese crafting fabrics...perfect!

I was also able to purchase these lovely wooden handles, which were sadly the only ones in stock. I finished the bag off with a wooden button and my first ever tassle.

Now for the hard part...posting it away as a present.

Whilst I was there, I bought some other fabric to make a singlet-style grocery bag. This is the first time that I have purchased fabrics to make bags, rather than use left-overs, so it is probably the most expensive grocery bag in the world. I can see that bag-making could be quite addictive.


And lastly, here is a picture of one of my bags made out of left-overs...I love all the different textures and have been using this tote every day since I made it.

1 comment:

Paula Gardner said...

Coincidentally, I just dug out this issue of Threads about an hour ago I'll be making a bag for my daughter out of some Asian inspired brocade fat quarters she picked out. I didn't happen to have any kimono sleeves handy, either, go figure.