28.4.20

Bobbely Watson bra and bikini set

In my parcel from Pitt Trading last week, I had a length of bobbely white lycra.  It is listed on their website as winter white textured spot lycra, and was described as suitable for swimwear and activewear.  At first I was dissapointed, as it was lighter and more sheer than I expected.  You would need a good lining to use this for swimwear!!  It does have a lovely feel though, so it only took me a day or so to adjust my plans and decide that it was perfect for lingerie.

I bought a metre, so I have enough fabric to make several sets.  First time around, I went with the Watson bra and bikini pattern by Cloth Habit.



For the bra, I used a lightweight mesh for the lining.  I also put in underwire casing at the underbust seam.  I have done this on other bralette patterns, but not on the Watson before.  I was a little worried about bulk at the centre V.  I sewed both the casing cups in one continuous length, then snipped the centre V and top-stitched from the right side.



This actually turned out neater than I expected.


I only had just enough strapping elastic.  I probably should have left off the bra sliders, as they have been slid to maximum strap length.

This is my fourth Watson bra.  My past 3 have been worn, but they have never been my favourites.  In the past, I always thought my fabric choices were too stretchy.  This fabric is not too stretchy, so I think it is actually a fitting thing.  I think I need to alter the bra cup seam shape a little.  I have plenty of this fabric, so I might try this in the same fabric again.






1 comment:

poppykettle said...

Ah yes, nothing quite like a bit of online shopping roulette... some online shops make it harder than should be to figure out what you might be getting! That said, you've done this lycra beautiful justice, the set is gorgeous. I always love reading your lingerie sewing posts :)