15.10.19

Simplicity 8634

I went a bit crazy when I saw all the beautiful printed lycras online at Pitt Trading.  Now I have to sew all the swimwear and leggings!

I recently purchased Simplicity 8634 for $6 in a Spotlight sale.  It seems a terribly good bargain, with leggings, sports bra with cup sizes and t-shirt included. 

My measurements were between M and L, and I sewed up the M.  I had to take in all the vertical seams.  My lycra is very stretchy, but even so, I would recommend sizing down in this pattern.


The leggings pattern includes large side pockets, which I love.  The pattern uses wide elastic for the waistband.  I cut a strip of lycra and encased elastic for my waistband.


I love a bit of matchy-matchy, so I made the sports bra out of the same fabric.


I normally wear a 34B bra, and after reading other reviews of this pattern, I decided to cut out a 32B, and I'm pretty happy with that choice.  I made a few modifications to the pattern.  I eliminated the V piece in the front.  I didn't use the binding on the armholes, instead I changed the order of construction and sewed the lining and outer together with a seam.  For this reason, my straps are narrower by a seam allowance than the original pattern.  I made the bra using 3 layers of fabric; the outer lycra, and inner soft nylon lycra lining and power mesh between the two.



Another happy fabric project :)

5 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Lovely and bright, and beautifully executed.

LindaC said...

These look great. Nicely done. Did you make your gray top also? I really like it.

katherine h said...

Thanks Linda, no I didn't make the gray top. It is from Lululemon. I wish I could buy the fabric they use.

katherine h said...

Thanks SewRuthie!

Sue said...

Love your leggings and matching bra. I also love Lululemon and am with you on wishing we could get the fabrics. In fact any light weight fabric for tops would be great!