6.3.19

Unicose Sports Bra

Have you tried Unicose patterns?  I had this pattern printed out for several months, but it took the PR active wear competition to give me the nudge I needed to get sewing.




Lining shots



 This is what the pattern instructions look like.


 This is how it fits.


Here is a copy of my pattern review.

Pattern Description: Sports bra with power mesh lining and key hole back

Pattern Sizing:XXS - 4XL

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

No. The instructions are in Spanish. The instructions are very brief. The instructions were provided in diagrammatic form and I could not work out how to copy from the diagram to Google translate, so I had to manually type them into a translate package. Not all of the steps were included in the instructions, particularly for the lining. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I like that it is a unique and modern style.
The sizing seems pretty good (though I would be more comfortable with a size up - personal preference). 

The unicose site was difficult to navigate. Treefrog has provided a good introduction to unicose patterns on her blog. There is also good information in this PR discussion.

Fabric Used:I used supplex for the outer. I went for a bit of bling, with a metallic lycra for the front contrast triangle. I used a power mesh for the large lining pieces, a wicking cotton lycra for the edge lining pieces and power netting for the lining front triangle. The strap edges are finished with fold-over elastic. I used a fairly firm elastic for the bottom band.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:My bottom elastic band is not as wide as the pattern recommends, because I used elastic that I had in stash.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I am going to run in this a few times before I decide whether or not to sew it again. It is too tight for wearing all day, so I would just put in on for exercise and then take it off again. If I sewed it again, I might lower the sides and back so that it goes under my scapula.

As for my recommendations - I have rated this an advanced pattern. Mostly that rating is due to the instructions being both brief, and in Spanish, and the difficulty in navigating the unicose site. There are a lot of pieces to cut out. Some of the pieces are asymmetrical. No information is given regarding sewing techniques. There are lots of curved seams with a 1 cm seam allowance (I should have basted these first on my sewing machine, for more accuracy before overlocking - next time!) I could only recommend this pattern if you are already familiar with sewing activewear.

Conclusion: It is always fun to try out a new sewing pattern company, so I'm glad I gave this a whirl.

No comments: