29.8.18

Stylearc Gabby Jacket in Milly Neon Floral.


Sewing is a tumultuous journey, a few highs, a few lows and plenty of average.  This project is one of my highs, both in terms of sewing construction and the completed garment. 


This next photo shows both the jacket lining and the self drafted top I made to go with the jacket.  The lining and top are made from different fabrics, although the colour looks similar in this photo.  The fabric top is a silk  with little stars woven into the print.  I think that the lining is a rayon fabric, but as I bought it for a previous project, I couldn't be sure.  I altered the lining pieces on this pattern to give more ease in the lining (details in the review below).


The sleeve heads on this pattern are unusual.  The bonus is that you get all the room you need in the sleeve cap without having to ease the sleeve into the armhole.  Genius!


I added a CB seam to the jacket to allow for a little more fitting to the back.


Gotta show off the welt pocket.  The pocket depth as drafted was too shallow to be functional, but a review by another sewer alerted me to this fact ahead of time, and I was able to increase the pocket depth easily.


Bonus photo - shown with the matching shorts from my previous post.  I actually first wore the jacket with a striped tee and jeans, which is probably my preferred look, but no camera that day.


I sewed this jacket for the pattern Review contest "Homage to my favourite designer".  I have copied my pattern review below, if anyone wants more of the sewing details.

I am submitting this jacket for the "Homage to my Favourite Designer". The designer element is this gorgeous stretch cotton sateen, from MillyNY, purchased through EmmaOneSock. It has been in my "good fabric" box, along with several other amazing Milly fabrics, for several years. 

I have pinned images of this same fabric made up by the designer as a dress and top. Whilst I admired the original designer garments, I thought it would make a stylish jacket.

Pattern Description: The pattern site describes this as a reverse revere jacket with sleeve head treatment. I wouldn't know what that meant if I did see the line drawing, but who am I to argue?

Pattern Sizing:I made Size 10.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?I supplemented the instructions with the Craftsy class "Mastering Construction: Facings and Linings" with Sara Alm.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that the jacket does not have collar or closures. This makes easily worn as a casual jacket.

Fabric Used:Stretch cotton sateen by MillyNY, purchased from EmmaOneSock.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Fitting changes
- narrow chest alteration.
- took in the side seams at the bust and let them out at the hips.
- made the sleeves narrower.
- used a thinner shoulder pad rather than doing a square shoulder adjustment.

Pattern changes
- Added a CB seam and added some curvature to this seam.
- extended the lining on the welt pockets to create a deeper pocket.
- added extra interfacing, to the back hem and sleeve hems.
- Added 1/2" vertical ease to the lining pieces.
- Added ease to the sleeve and underarm of the lining, guided by Sara Alm's class.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I like this jacket and can see myself making it again.

Conclusion: I'm really happy with how this turned out. It is always daunting cutting into the "good fabric" but the result is even better than I expected.

1 comment:

AllisonC said...

Great looking jacket, I love the combination of this pattern with a dramatic fabric and I think it will make for a really versatile layer that will work over both casual and formal outfits.