20.3.18

Silk Bomber by Burdastyle


I have run out of words today, so I am just re-printing my pattern review here.  The pattern is Burdastyle 07-2017-104.

Pattern Description: Blouson bomber jacket with a padded collar and a petersham trim along the zipper.

Pattern Sizing:This pattern was in tall sizes. I was looking up how much length to remove from the jacket to make it regular sized, when I realised that the pattern had a huge amount of ease built into it. So, based on my bust measurement, I sized down from 80 to 72. The difference in length between these sizes was about the amount of length I would have had to take out, so with the smaller size, I didn't need to make any length adjustments.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?They were okay.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?I like the idea of a very lightweight jacket that could even be worn as a blouse. The magazine had it styled with denim shorts at the beach and then in black and white for a more office appropriate look.

Fabric Used:My fabric is silk, with a lightweight crepe texture, from EmmaOneSock. The chunky zip is from Lincraft and the Ribbon trim is from Spotlight.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
- sized down 2 sizes
- my jacket is unlined
- because it was not lined, I used French seams or felled seams throughout
- for the padded collar, the pattern had you roll up some wadding and insert it in the collar. I didn't trust this to work out, so I fused one side of my collar to a fusible wadding.
- the sleeves were too long so I took the cuffs off, shortened the sleeves and sewed the cuffs back on. I have had to shorten a few sleeve patterns lately, which is making me wonder if I have short arms. I never felt like I had short arms before, so the other possibility is that I like to sear my sleeves shorter than other people.

Mu chunky zip ended up all curvy. I'm not sure why, as I matched the length to the jacket before I sewed it in place, so it is unlike that I stretched the fabric as I sewed it. Maybe it is from the petersham ribbon? I think this is a common occurrence with chunky zips so I am not worrying about it.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I don't think I need another one, but I would recommend this style to others. This pattern does have a huge amount of ease, so fabric choice will be critical to get a nice drape.

Conclusion: Something different for my wardrobe that I am looking forward to wearing.

6 comments:

Jen L said...

Really cute! I'm going to have to look up this pattern.

Sheryll said...

It looks lovely in this beautiful fabric!

mokosha said...

i really like your version (way more than burda's).. and that fabric is beautiful

Masha said...

It looks very luxurious. And I LOVE that skirt!

AllisonC said...

I saw this in your PR contest entry and I love this whole outfit. The idea of a silk bomber jacket is brilliant for a hot climate, I may well pinch your idea!

Summer Flies said...

Finally got my google comments working again ... not even sure how! I really love this outfit. I'm loving the grey with orange tones. A really great wardrobe. I like the idea of the silk bomber too, but bombers just don't feel like me but I like them on others.