I have been wanting a new pair of red shorts for ages. I have a RTW pair that are a smidge on the small side, so I don't wear very often, but I wish that I could. This medium weight cotton is from The Fabric Store and is a perfect weight for shorts. I bought the same fabric in yellow as well.
The pattern is from Patrones magazine #338, style 15 (Freesoul Shorts).
The button is another from from jar of Liberty buttons.
I used Liberty tana lawn for the pocket lining.
I didn't muslin these, so I left off the welt pockets (I don't want to mess around with welt pockets if the whole thing is not going to work out). I should have made a muslin, but competition deadlines and all, I was in a hurry. I also left off the belt loops, as a style preference.
I changed the waistband pattern piece to be a single continuous length, rather than separate front and back bands. This is the way I sew my jeans and I really like it. Of course, it is hard to make adjustments later, but I just tweak the hip fit before I sew the waistband on.
This will be my go-to shorts pattern from now. The cut feels more RTW than some of my other shorts patterns. I think the front crotch curve and shape of the inner leg seam is the difference.