When everyone was making their Hudsons and their Animas earlier this year, I wanted a pair too, but I didn't feel like splashing out on a pattern for elastic waisted pants, so I hunted through my pattern collection for something that would work.
I ended up starting with Jalie 2914, a men's pattern for gymnastics longs. It had the tapered legs I was looking for and was not too high waisted. I cut off the legs at the ankles and added a cuff.
I borrowed the waistband and pocket details from Burda 5/2011 #128.
I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I made the pockets out of a white sports mesh, which peeks out a little bit. I'll have to fix that up before next winter and I need to replace the drawstring with one that doesn't slip out quite so easily.
Now I can spend my pattern pennies on a more complicated design...I've been inspired by some Marfy projects popping up in the blogs, so a Marfy order may just be part of my near future.