29.4.09

Assymetrical Tee



This T-shirt is a variation on my own T-shirt draft, using Tessuti boat-shed. The neck facing is from a scrap of Liberty print. I think that the overall effect is a sophisticated version of "nautical". I borrowed a few design elements from a Marc Jacobs T-shirt, namely the assymetrical neck opening and the zippered welt detail (hard to see...it's on the chest opposite the neck opening...perhaps I should take another photo?).

It actually took me quite a while to make this as I wasn't sure what I was doing, even once I started cutting. Sometimes I miss the sewing instructions when I make my own patterns!

Instead of using a regular sleeve, I cut an elliptical section of fabric and folded it in half. The length of the ellipse was the armhole circumference and the width was twice the length of the sleeve cap. The fold eliminates the need for a hem. I borrowed this idea from a woven blouse, and it seems to work for knits also.

10 comments:

Sew-4-Fun said...

Oh I love this!!! What a fabulous idea with the neck opening. Would you mind if I stole it? :)

Jen said...

That's one seriously funky T Shirt - very cool little details :-) I love the sleeve idea.

kbenco said...

I love this shirt. Please take a close up of the zippered welt. You have such fabulous ideas.
I did enjoy the SYTHYD final. It was fun to read about the fabrics used on Collette's blog too.

Peacock Chic said...

I really love this idea. It really brings a tshirt to an all new level! Love it

wendy said...

So pretty!
Is the main body of the tshirt a knit & the facing a woven? I'm curious if you did anything special to sew a woven to a knit, or if it just went together easily. The print peeking out is such a great little detail :-)

Mary Nanna said...

If you click on the photo to enlarge it you can see the gorgeous little pocket detail .. great top, very stylish, lovely use of details.

Speaking of use of details, I was thinking about your flashdance tee and kept thinking .. there's something missing.. there's something missing, can't put my finger on it.

Leg warmers. That was it.

Sue said...

Great top!

Unknown said...

Hi there! I just found your blog... absolutely love this top. It's inspiring!

Véronica & sa trousse à couture said...

Hi ! Your tee is just gorgeous, love the asymetrical closure and details.

Corinne said...

I just love this top - it's too sophisticated to call it a t-shirt.