12.12.20

Frocktails 2020

I seem to have bloggers block.  I've had this window sitting open on the computer for days, but am  having trouble sitting down and writing.  Frocktails is such a fabulous event that it definitely deserves a post.  It really feels like I am getting together with my tribe.  

I don't think that I talked to so many people this year, but all the sewing talk with those that I did.  Shout out to Vanessa (I hope I haven't got your name wrong in the intervening weeks) who says she still reads my blog...and here I thought that I was back where I started, just blogging for my own records.  So much sewing inspiration in one place.  I learnt about Nerida Hansen fabrics, and have already received an order for her fabrics, hopefully to be made into a summery top for Christmas.  Of course, the most fun is playing Guess The Pattern, discovering new patterns and rediscovering old favourites.

So, onto my dress.


I've had this fabric and pattern combination in mind for a few years now.  It can take me a little while to implement a plan!  I retrieved the fabric from my box of special fabrics, but it was originally from EmmaOneSock.   I think that it is a viscose crepe.  It has a bit of stretch in one direction and a lovely, heavy drape.  The fabric is a print (I haven't done any clever colour blocking).  Sadly, it frays terribly, and I did have a sticky moment when my neck facing pulled away from the dress whilst I was understitching it.  6 mm seam allowances on the facings might have been too narrow for this fabric, and fingers crossed that no more damage happens with wear.



The pattern is Burdastyle 04-2016-122.  I took a bit of a risk in not making a muslin, just grading between sizes and making my usual pattern adjustments.  

The dress pattern is lined.  The lining is for a fairly standard sheath dress.  The outer pattern is shaped as a sheath dress, with extra volume for the drape, and not a-line as the photos would suggest.  I was just about to cut out a Bemberg lining, when I realised that there was no walking room in the lining.  I went back to check the pattern details (I'm not so good at reading pattern instructions these days) and sure enough, it recommended a stretch lining.  My other concern with the lining was that the front neckline gapes a bit, both on the model and in previous versions I have seen made up, and the lining would probably show.  I didn't have a suitable stretch lining fabric on hand.  I thought about just putting a vent in the lining skirt, but in the end, decided that my fabric didn't need a lining and I was better off drafting a facing instead, and cutting it out of the same fabric as the dress.  This had the added bonus of using up the odd shaped remnants of the fabric.





Thanks so much to the organisers of Perth Frocktails.  It really is my favourite event of the year.

12 comments:

Megan O said...

I'm so pleased you enjoyed it and sad that I had to miss it this year. Your dress looks lovely xx

Jen L said...

Fabulous!

Jane said...

Such good use of a beautiful fabric. Love it!

kbenco said...

Your dress is stunning. It is so much more appealing than the Burda plain version, a beautiful use of the fabulous fabric.

Beth (SunnyGal Studio) said...

that looks fantastic and you make me want to sew that fabric. Also a bit envious of your frocktails event, as we are still in lockdown here in N. Ca with little end in sight :(

Vanessa said...

Hi Vanessa here, still reading your blog. It was a great night and it was great to meet you in person.

katherine h said...

Yes we did miss you! Hopefully the stars align and we can all get to next year's frocktails.

katherine h said...

Thanks Jen!

katherine h said...

Thanks Kbenco! It is a fun fabric...though I can see a plain version would be lovely if I had the sort of job where people wore dresses to work.

katherine h said...

Thanks Vanessa! It was so lovely to meet you and I'm so pleased you came out of hiding to comment on my blog. Hope to see at next year's frocktails, if not sometime before :)

katherine h said...

Thanks Beth. My heart goes out to you all still in lockdown. It has gone on so long. Who knew that a lockdown wardrobe would actually be worth sewing :( I'm pleased that you are still sewing for the other side of it all. Hoping for a better (and more fashionable) 2021.

Erika said...

I bet there are lots of people still reading! Long time reader here, I always admire your fabric picks from EmmaOneSock. I have a hard time committing to a fabric online but your picks are great and this fabric is so gorgeous. And this is a great use of it!! Thank you for writing!