13.9.13

Patrones leather pants in denim

In my last mystery remnant bundle from EmmaOneSock, I received 3 small pieces of a purplish denim.  Put altogether, there was enough for a pair of jeans.  Patterns for leather are typically made up of smaller pieces, and pattern 15 from Patrones 325 looked suitable for my pieces.



The fit isn't spot-on.  I have far less time for sewing these days, and to be honest, I'd rather get through more projects than spend the extra time on muslins.   I cut according to my hip size.  The fit was appropriately snug in the hips, but I had to let them out at the waist...at least I had plenty of seams to play with!  I had to take them in an awful lot through the legs.  They are still not as close fitting as the ones on the model, but in the lower part of the leg, there is only one seam, running down the front, so I thought it would skew things too much if I took them in any more.

 A close up of the pockets.  I used the "window-pane" method for my zip openings - not couture and you can see a little bit of the organza poking out...I need to get some dark organza.  I don't know what method Patrones suggest you use because I have given up on Google translate for Patrones instructions.  The process just takes a long time to end up with some rather inexplicable phrases.


Hopefully you can see some of the paneling in this next shot.  I couldn't decide whether to topstitch all the seams or not, and then went with not, as I couldn't decide which colour top-stitch thread to use.


You can see that these have been through a "tissue wash"...just consider this evidence that I wear what I make, rather than judge my laundry!  Some things become more apparent with a photoshoot, and I can see that I need to move the button over slightly.  A friend of mine recently went to London and she brought me back a jar of buttons from Liberty.  This single, purple button from the jar was perfect for these jeans. 


The fabric has purple threads running one way and grey the other...sometimes these look purple and sometimes they just look a regular indigo colour.  Not so long back, I was lamenting the lack of purple pants in my wardrobe (specifically, when I made this top)..well, that problem has been rectified now!

12 comments:

kbenco said...

What fabulous jeans. I love the zipped windowpane pockets.

Megan O said...

These look great, I love all the panels and details. I have recently bought some Patrones magazines, but haven't made anything yet because of the language barrier. You've done a great job deciphering the instructions for these. Maybe I should have a go, but I think I'll choose a simple pattern to start with!

Kristy Chan said...

Those pockets are awesome, much better than the standard patch pockets you usually see on jeans. I hear you on the perfect sewing vs the getting stuff made to wear sewing - I admire those that persevere to get a perfect fit but I have too many plans swirling around in my head to spend on more than the occasional muslin

SEWN said...

Genius idea to use a leather pant pattern for your smallish pieces! Love your pants!

Crab and Bee said...

I didn't know that leather patterns tend to use smaller pieces! How ingenious of you to use one for denim remnants. And I think the fit looks really good! I like a tiny bit of slouch through the legs of tighter pants.

Summer Flies said...

The pockets are really different ... I have made one muslin a couple of months ago for a vogue pattern that I want to use some lace for, but it's hard to do fitting on yourself. I'll go back to that. I really like the colour of these and other than the button they look very nice. I wouldn't have noticed anything about the tissue if you hadn't said!

Gail said...

Your new pants rock! Love the cut and Summer Flies is right about the pockets being a point of difference.

katherine h said...

Yes, the smaller pattern pieces are to accommodate the size of the leather skins. This wouldn't matter for faux leather, of course.

Joy said...

The piecing on these is really neat and I like those interesting pockets. I need to remember these jeans when trying to using up my denim pieces - at least I could piece girls' jeans with smaller pieces.

Anonymous said...

Oh I really love that fabric! Such a lovely colour. And I love fabrics with the threads one way a different colour to the threads running the other way. It lends such a subtly luxurious look to the fabric. Someone at the markets here gets clothes made up in Indonesia out of cotton fabrics with that 'shot' effect, in suitably swirly tropical styles and I'm always drooling over them.

Anyway, they're really lovely jeans, they look great on you :-) And I agree about that button being perfect for them!

Amy said...

What a cool style! Love the zips and pocket details. You've really scored some great fabrics. I've got to figure out how to get my hands on Patrones. They always seem to have some cool trouser styles.

Gabrielle said...

This is pretty complex sewing for someone with not much time for sewing! Those pockets are terrific and the jeans look great on - very cool!