My daughter recently graduated to squad swimming, and I thought that a one-piece might be a little more streamlined than the bikini / t-shirt combination that she had been wearing. So even though it is the middle of winter, I am sewing swimmers (the pool is heated).
Stuart's blocks for my children's swimwear, but the link was not working on the day I was sewing these. So I dug out an old Knitwit pattern that I picked up in an op shop. I sewed size 8. She is an average sized 8 yo.
Based on the cover photo, I decided to raise the leg line. My daughter does find the leg line too high, so this was obviously an unnecessary alteration. Lucky it is covered by a frill.
I also lowered the armhole and narrowed the straps.
This was to be a quick project, so I was going to sew them up just using the overlocker and my sewing machine, rather than fiddle about using the coverstitch machine for something new. Well, I ran out of thread half way through stitching down the elastic, and the coverstitch machine was sitting there already threaded, so I moved seats and had a go. It worked out fine and now I have tried something that I was fearing.
I added frills to the leg opening and the neckline. The leg ones turned out fine, but I think that I should have added the neck one after the elastic, as turning under the gathered frill and the elastic was little too bulky.
The fabric was from stash, via Spotlight. I lined the front with lining from Beach Bubble Swimwear. The elastic is rubber elastic from Glitter and Dance.