11.10.11

Vintage Slip 3

This next pattern is truly a vintage pattern.  Simplicity 4218 (vintage patterns wiki dates it as 1958).  Single size, already cut, only punch holes for markings.  It is a Size 12, so I had to grade it up.  This is actually my first attempt at grading a single size pattern.  I have a book on grading, as it was something that I had always meant to learn to do, but had not got around to.  I dug it out and read enough to get me going.

The bust only needed to be graded up one size, but my hip measurement was sadly 6 inches bigger than the pattern's listed size measurements, so it had to be graded up a few sizes.


I used a lining fabric to test this.  Navy lining.  I have not sewn anything navy for at least 10 years.  I did not have enough to make proper straps.


It doesn't look as bad as I was expecting.  The neckline is a lot higher than we are used to.  I omitted the side zip and could put it on okay.  As an aside, I once went shopping with a friend of mine who is the complete opposite shape to me (long legs, big boobs, no hips) and found that we put on and take off clothing differently.  She was always stepping into garments, whilst I was always pulling them over my head. 

The bust cups are not as pointy as the previous one.

The bust point is too high though.  The neckline stretched out as I was sewing it; lucky it was only a muslin.  I wonder which would be the best method to stabilise it before sewing?

I did have one more vintage pattern to test, Kwiksew 941 , from 1979.  It has a 1920's squarish camisole sort of feel to it.  At the moment I am limiting myself to designs with separate bust cups so I will leave this one for now.
Next up:  I have several instructions for drafting a lip in my pattern books, so will give these a go.

11 comments:

Rachelle said...

I like this but it doesn't have the wow factor of the Butterick pattern IMHO. I am trawling the net for vintage slip patterns now, thanks for the inspiration :-)

Bernice said...

Another nice slip. This one is my least favourite of the three. It does look a little high doesn't it. I do like the look of the kwik sew pattern even though you're not making it up just yet.

Ruth said...

I'm loving this series because I know I need to make a slip or two or three and you are reducing my anxiety about getting started on the fitting and the slippery fabrics. I have liked all of them so far. Surely a girl needs a range of slips, not just one? We don't want to get bored with our undies, do we?

Janine said...

I have seen a couple of slip patterns in old burda magazines as well. Good luck in finding your perfect luxury slip pattern.

kbenco said...

This slip looks more utilitarian IMO than the other two, nothing wrong with that, but not nearly so pretty by itself. Was it quicker to sew? Maybe I am led astray by the navy lining :)

elizabeth said...

I really LOVE vintage patterns!!!!

Gail said...

The slip would probably look nice under a chiffon or see through mesh fabric.

Joy said...

A slip is a great garment to practice grading a single sized pattern. I like navy, even though it's not a good color for me to wear.
And what a funny observation about body shapes and getting dressed!

Fashionista said...

Hello Katherine,

I am following your slip project with much interest, they look fabulous although I must say the No.2 is my favourite so far. I have just returned to wearing slips (after being scarred by them at boarding school 30 years ago!) because wearing vintage can be a bit scratchy and they just look so damned glamourous when you're getting dressed. (Cue poncing about putting your make-up on and doing your hair in your slip channelling Elizabeth Taylor.)

Rachelle said...

Hi Katherine, I was over at Stawberry Milk Run and saw your latest tutorial. How timely for me as I have just completed my first pair of undies and was planning to sew a swimsuit (I have already bought the fabric and rubber elastic). Well sewing elastic to something is not as easy as it looks! My undies are the biggest dogs breakfast you ever saw lol. I think I should make a blog and call it Sewmanywadders and everyone can have a good laugh. It's a bit like watching someone learn to drive a manual car and they are bunny hopping :-D (p.s I couldn't comment over there as the name selection option is turned off) THANK YOU!!! for your tutorial...I'm off to follow your methods...Cya

Gabrielle said...

This is such an interesting series you're doing - it's fascinating to see what the pattern envelope drawings translate to when you make the slips up. I quite like the higher neckline on this, but that zip zag slip was probably my favourite so far. I hope there are a few more to come?