9.8.11

Pattern Launch

I don't remember "pattern maker" being on the list of career options when I was at school.  I guess I wasn't living in one of the fashion capitals at the time.  Not that I am now.  I think it is something I would like to do.  For the last couple of years "give pattern making a good, proper go" has been on my list of New Years' Resolutions.  Still, I've been a bit cautious, just dipping my toe in the water, never quite finishing what I start.  Well, a few weeks ago, I decided to do what I could do, rather than reach for the stars.

Today I am launching my first pattern.  It is not an Oscar-worthy gown.  It will not put you on any of the best-dressed lists.  But it is streamlined and chic, in its own way.  It is practical.  It doesn't take much fabric; "scrap bustin'" even comes to mind.  It can be completed in less than half an hour.  So go on.  Try my Boys Trunks Pattern.  Although, around here, we don't like to call them Boys' Trunks.  Oh no, we like to call them "Man-Jocks".

I am pretty excited by this pattern launch.  Sure, humble beginnings and all, but who knows where it could lead?  In the meantime, though, I still want this blog to be all about me, me, me.  So I have decided to start a new blog for my patterns.  You will have to go to the Strawberry Milk Run to get my pattern.

There are 3 posts over there, all ready for you.  Sometimes we don't want to drag these things out over days and days, do we?  So here are the different links;

For the Boys Trunks Pattern
For the tutorial to go with the pattern
For fitting changes (because even though the pattern is pretty fabulous, how you like to wear your undies is personal)



So go on, 'ave a go!  And if you do, I'd love some feedback, either here or over there.

16 comments:

Gail said...

So your creating shock jocks? Good luck with your new venture. No sons and a husbie dedicated to boxers so I'm not in line for this pattern but will give you a plug in my next post.

Christina said...

I don't have a need for these at the moment but I think it's very exciting that you are sharing this pattern and I look forward to seeing what's to come!

Sew-4-Fun said...

Good luck with your new venture!

Mary Nanna said...

Wow - I went over to have a look - the pattern looks very professional and the step by step tutorial will have noone guessing what to do. What an incredibly generous gift of your time and expertise to the sewing world.

liza jane said...

Awesome!

Sue said...

Well done - having one DH and two DS's I will give this go!

Joy said...

Why not start with underwear? And what a bonus to include a picture tutorial!

Gwen said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see more! :)

Barbara said...

Congratulations and good luck!

kbenco said...

How generous of you. Your pattern looks terrific, and the photo tutorial is excellent. I have downloaded the pattern and will try these ASAP. My son may, or may not, be thrilled with home made undies, but he will have to indulge me. Off to look for manly knit fabric in the scrap bag.

kbenco said...

Hi Katherine, well I've just made a pair. First, the pattern is terrific, nicely drafted,lovely seam matching, and ever so quick to sew up with your excellent tutorial. Fabulous work. I would buy one like this in a snap. However, I have a major problem with the printing out - it is way off scale. This is most probably my fault. I could see they were too small when they printed out, but made them anyway for a test run. I used A4 paper, and no scaling in the printing, but the trunks are the cutest things ever, size 6 fits the teddy bear pretty nicely, finished circumference 39cm non stretched. He looks very handsome in them.
Any printing out tips for the scaling?(Also the pattern lines were very faint, quite tricky to see, although the title and star print out beautifully). Would it be possible to include a test square in the PDF?, and maybe darken the cutting lines? I did not see an email link on your blog so hope it is OK to comment here. It is really good of you to put up such a nice and useful pattern.
stitchbliss at stitchbliss dot com no spaces.

kbenco said...

Sorry Katherine, my technical department just got home from work and told me that she had set up the printer to do something weird for her Graphics assignment. I will try again. The new print out looks much better. (blush)

EmilyKate said...

Well done! They look like comfy jocks and I can't wait to see your future patterns :o)

Carolyn said...

Wow! Congratulations, and I hope all goes well for you! I would like to try out the jocks pattern sometime... don't know if my boys will like Mum-made jocks but we'll see about that...!

Carolyn said...

Woops, I hit post comment before i had finished... I wanted to go one to say how very clever I think you are to be drafting and grading patterns like this! I have drawn up and published on BStyle exactly one pattern, for a man's tie, completely ungraded for sizes in any way, and it took me hours... never again... so I'm very appreciative of how pattern drafting is not as easy as it appears, and I'm super impressed at your skills!

kbenco said...

So now that I have finished wrestling with my printer, the trunks were super easy, super fast, and well received. Thanks for your excellent pattern.
I posted here http://kbenco.blogspot.com/2011/08/boys-trunks.html
and reviewed here
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=66600
I have drafted one or two things, with no grading, and find it very time consuming and not so easy. I appreciate all the work you have put in to this.