The fabric is a silk charmeuse from EmmaOneSock. It is a little different to my usual colours and styles. I probably bought it because it was fashionable more than anything else, so I wanted make it up quickly rather than pop it in the stash. I dyed my hair dark this week. Everytime I catch sight of myself I feel like I am wearing a wig, but I am having fun trying different colours and make-up than I typically wear.
The second change was to make the neckline narrower with a series of pintucks, after the dress was completed. I didn't muslin the dress; instead I used my sloper to adjust the pattern, after reading this great post by Audrey. Usually I make a narrow chest adjustment. I wasn't sure how to do this with the kimono sleeves. The neck width was the same for Sz 8 through 14, which seemed a little odd, but I went with it. When I put on the dress, the neckline seemed too wide and my bra was showing at the corners of the neckline. Pintucks to the rescue, but I think they were a good idea and I would use them again next time.
I tried out a new technique on this dress, that I read about years ago. After reading the other reviews for this pattern, I left out the zipper. This meant the construction was all French seams. For the first pass of the French seam I used my overlocker. I wouldn't use this for sheer fabrics, but for slippery charmeuse that frays, it works great.
1st pass, wrong sides together, overlocked seam.
2nd pass, right sides together, stitched seam enclosing the overlocking.
Right side completed, nary a frayed thread in sight.
This last photo is really just photographic evidence on this blog that I can smile! I wore this dress for my daughter's disco party yesterday. My photographer arrived home after the party had already started, so I was in party mode when we ducked out for half a moment to take these photographs.