14.8.10

Summer print pencil skirt

I was really taken with the Canterbury Bells skirt at J.Crew, so I was keeping an eye out for a similar print.  I was delighted when I saw this print at Gardams.  The stretch cotton was a little lightweight for a pencil skirt, so I interlined the skirt with some stretch cotton sateen.  Now it is probably a bit heavy for me to wear in summer, but it will get plenty of wear during Spring.

As I was sewing the skirt, Belinda did a post on seam binding.  I had purchased some but never used it.  Belinda is always posting useful bits of information just as I need it :).  I got it out and used it to bind the edges near the zipper.   You can also see my basting where I attached the skirt outer and interlining, to hold the layers together until I stitched them.  I didn't line the skirt, as I thought the interlining was more than enough.

13 comments:

Lori said...

Very pretty skirt.

cherri said...

Wow you could not have found a more similar fabric! It looks great and I love the rayon tape finish...

Sigrid said...

Pretty skirt, nice finish too. And the fabric is just right.

Sharon said...

Beautiful skirt for spring.

Shannon said...

The fabric makes this skirt positively sublime!!

Pam said...

I love your skirt - it is adorable!

Mary Nanna said...

The fabric is so beautiful it reminds me of willow china with that intense blue on white. I really love that colour. Looks like you made a lovely job of sewing it too -

Bri said...

This fabric is gorgeous, want it!

Gail said...

I had the same thought as Mary Nana about the fabric. It is just devine and looks swell (swell is my new 'old word' that I'm reviving!)

lsaspacey said...

Thanks for the link on seam binding! Our US seam binding is made differently and is bulkier. This stuff seems to be more like the Seams Great product available here, more stretchy and light. So if you're in the US, you can use that instead of shipping over Hug-Snug, except Seams Great only comes in black and white, as far as I know.

Bernice said...

It's bloomin' lovely!

Susannah said...

Lovely skirt!

Large scale prints can be a bit risky, but this skirt demonstrates how striking they can be, and it really looks fantastic!

the use of seam binding to give a bit more body when putting in a zipp is interesting, too.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a lovely skirt! It just makes you want to smile!