7.4.20

3 wool singlets

It is interesting to see what everybody is sewing these days.  The whole cake versus frosting attitude, sew for now, sew for later?  

This project very much falls into the "basics" group.  3 wool singlets.  I haven't sewn with wool that much.  I haven't even worn wool that often.  There wasn't the need when I lived in Queensland.  Now that I am in WA, it has a little more appeal.  Though, I have seen a few very big silverfish in my house lately, so I am worried how long these garments will last.  

I did sew a merino shirt last year that I don't think I ever blogged.  I remember hating wool as a child, because it was so itchy.  My merino shirt does feel a little prickly when I first put it on, but then something strange happens and it feels really good to wear.  Some sort of breathability, air layer thing.  Not sure exactly what, but I did wear that shirt much more than I expected to last winter, and do prefer it for exercise than my expensive RTW running long sleeved shirt.

I bought a 1.4 m wool remnant  from Pitt Trading, and thought that I would try wool singlets this winter.



For the first one, I used Jalie 3245, with my usual modification of lowering the armholes and reducing the front hem curve.  I have also removed the seam allowances from the neck and armholes of the pattern, as I tend to add binding.  The neckline of this pattern has a really lovely shape.  I used fold over elastic on the armholes.  I was in two minds about this.  I didn't know how well the merino would work with my binders, so was hesitant to set up the coverstitch machine (lazy!!).  I also worried that the elastic was a bit too stiff and heavy for the fabric.  In the end I used the elastic on the armholes, but made a neck band.  I didn't use a binder, but sewed the neckband on in the round.  I went for a wider neckband than usual.  The wool actually behaved really well and the neck band sits beautifully.



I didn't have enough fabric to make a second one of these, so I dug out Jalie 2568, which is shorter and closer fitting.  I had to adjust the front neckline of the pattern, as I didn't have any stretch lace in the right width on hand.  For this one, I finished the neck and armholes with lingerie elastic.



After this, I had some largish scraps left over, but not enough to cut another Jalie 2568.  After a bit of playing around, I found I could cut a back of Jalie 2568 (just a smidge narrower), and I could modify the pattern to cut a front with a lower bodice and two upper bodices.  The upper bodices are not quite on the grain.  There is some ease across the bust seam, as much as I could fit, but not enough to show up as gathers.  I finished the neckline with elastic, but did not have enough for the armholes.  I didn't have enough fabric to cut a proper binding, but I managed to cut a narrow  strip of fabric that I applied as a single fold binding, not a double fold binding.  I didn't use the binders, but I did use the coverstitch machine to sew the binding in place.  I think it turned out pretty well for sewing up scraps.


So that is my cake, but I do have some frosting on my sewing table at the moment...a Liberty silk blouse that I am hoping to get to this week.

Happy sewing and stay well xx


5 comments:

LGW DESIGNZ said...

Good information Wordpress Courses Sydney

MultiVroon said...

Hi, what do you mean with "use the binders"?

Love the third one, great result from having to be inventive, right?

katherine h said...

Hello MultiVroon,

I have bought a series of industrial coverstitch binders (if you google them you can see what they look like) to help me attach and topstitch bindings in one go. They do not fit on my machine, so I just blutack them in place whilst I use them. There are a few tutorial online how to use them.
http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com/2001/01/coverstitch-all-stuff.html
https://www.thelaststitch.com/coverstitch-binder-attachment-tutorial/

Robyn said...

I must admit I've been struggling with the desire to do much of anything. The shift to working from home and staring at a screen all day just leaves me exhausted - not to mention everything else. I really like these singlets, they're perfect layering pieces. Look forward to seeing the silk liberty top too!

Jessicathecat said...

Re silverfish, or moths, or anything else: Store them in zip lock large plastic bags. Works a treat.