25.2.19

Underthings

I'm bundling a few projects together in this post.


The above photo shows a batch of bras that I made for my daughter.  I never thought that I would sew bras for anyone else, but I like sewing, and I have enough clothes for myself, and she needed bras, so there we go.  The bottom one is the Marlborough, and sadly, it was too small.  The top 3 are variations on the Boylston bra, which I have never made for myself, but I thought would suit her.  It is actually more fun sewing for her because the only fit changes I needed to make were to move the straps in, at both the front and the back.  I need a whole heap of fitting changes to get a bra pattern to fit me.


These cute swan knickers were made using Jalie 3886 Julia, using a cotton knit fabric left over from a dress for my daughter.  This panty pattern is great, but the matching bra I made was such a disaster that I didn't even finish it.  I think for the Julia bralette, I need to choose a larger size for the band than the bodice.  The band was way too tight.  Also, I find fold-over elastic to be too flimsy for bra straps, probably more so because this cotton knit is quite firm.  Also, the bralette darts seemed a bit odd.  I haven't given up on this pattern though, and will us it again, choosing a different size and different straps.  I still have enough of this fabric to make another bra, but I think I will make the Jalie 3131, as my last two versions were worn until they fell apart.  


This bralette is made using the free Barrett Bralette pattern from Madalynne.  I made this on the morning before I left for a long flight, and it was so comfy for the journey.  I am surprised by how often I reach for this one, because usually I prefer underwired bras to bralettes.  I did change the position of the straps at the back, as I have a lot of tops with cut-away armholes.



Another bralette pattern I like is the Hanna Bralette from Studio Costura.  I modified this pattern to make a couple of bikinis; two for myself and one for my niece.  They are good enough to swim laps in, or catch a few waves at the beach.




It seems to be getting a bit harder to find fabrics and notions for bar-making in Australia than it was a few years ago.  In spite of my extensive stash, I had to order a few bits and pieces to make the bras for my daughter, and I ended up ordering some duoplex and elastics from Nellie Joans in NZ.  I know about Booby Traps, but if anyone can give me info on Aussi suppliers for bra-making, it would be appreciated.


Happy Sewing xx

6 comments:

sewTreefrog said...

Looks like you have been busy. Love the swan print!
For duoplex, try Sew Squirrel. Remnant Warehouse occasionally has some. I've been buying dyeable elastics and findings in bulk through M-Recht.

katherine h said...

Thanks! When I googled sew squirrel I found underwired...is this the same supplier?

Anthea said...

I seem to recall that the SewSquirrel name only recently changed. There are still references to Sew Squirrel on the Underwiref site eg in FAQs or whatever.

AllisonC said...

An inspirational collection of underthings, they all look so professional and that swan print is amazing!

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

Wow, I wish I could sew a bra. You did an amazing job.

Tamara said...

I just went on underwired.co which was SewSquirrel and couldn't get on. I know she took a hiatus and had intentions of getting back into it but I think that didn't eventuate because the site is now closed and I'm wondering if this is just because of covid or other things. I bought some kits from Booby traps and I'm not too overly impressed to own the truth. We need Bra maker supply fabrics locally again.