22.4.17

Simplicity Skort

I thought that I would never sew for teenage children, but it turns out that clothes shopping with / for teenage daughters is not so fun either.  Sizing is a big part of the problem when you are moving on from the style of children's clothing and too short for adult clothing.  This is one outfit I have sewn that has been regarded as a success.


The skort pattern is Simplicity 1370.  When I measured her hips, it put her between a Sz 4 and 6.  I decided to cut the 6.  My mistake.  I am pear shaped, so I always measure the hips.  She is more rectangular, with little waist definition, so she could hardly zip it up to the waist.  I had to let out the seam allowances as far as they could go.  Based on waist measurement, I should have cut a Sz 12.

She loves the pockets!


The top pattern is one that I evolved from a dress I made her a couple of years ago and is basically a princess seamed strapless bodice.  Lots of pin-fitting as we go.  At the last moment, I decided to let the seams out a bit at the hem level, and now she finds it too loose.  I guess I could unpick the hem and take the seams in again.


I put in press studs at the back.


This cotton fabric is still available from EmmaOneSock.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute outfit. The pockets are excellent - no wonder she loves them!
    I did much the same thing as you when I started sewing for my teenager daughter: assumed her body shape would be similar to mine. And was wrong, of course!

    ReplyDelete