7.9.15

The Diamond Dart

When I first saw this draft in my craftsy course, I thought it was a bit kitsch.  It has grown on me over time (and I have had time, because it is taking me quite some time to get through this course!) and now I have found a way to make it work for me....as a tank top with a peplum skirt and V back.


The bust and waist darts are rotated to form the sides of the diamond, so there are no darts on the front of the top.

In the back, I cut a V neckline and angled the back darts to mimic this V.


Here's a closer shot of the back darts. You can also see some of my neck binding.  I bound the armholes and neck with self made bias strips.  I have been watching old episodes of the Great British Sewing Bee, so I am a bit more conscious of how long my sewing takes and how neat (or not so neat it is).  It takes me an hour to bind the armholes and neck of a tank top.


I am so proud of my neat sewing on this top.  Look at the perfect top of the diamond.



The bottom of the diamond is pretty good too (though I do need to remove that gathering stitch from the skirt portion)


 I am not super happy with the draft of the skirt portion.  It is both flared and gathered.  I didn't muslin it, because I thought that my fabric would behave very differently to the calico I used for the muslin, and I don't have unwanted silks just lying around to use for muslins.  I think I perhaps overdid it.  Maybe gathered without the flare would have been enough.  To make matters worse, I thought I had heaps of fabric so I cut the bias binding strips before the I drafted the skirt...and then I could only fit the skirt pieces if I cut them on the bias.  As you can imagine, this was an absolute nightmare to hem...bias circular very full pieces.  In the end, I just stood in front of the mirror with a pair of scissors and hacked away.  I really should invest in a hem marker of some sort.

 Some photos on me.  Front view...


I forgot to get a back shot this morning, so here is a less than flattering shot of my behind when I wore it with a turquoise skirt last week.  Actually, the back V looks wider here than I thought it would...I really should take back photos in the muslin stage.  The top is meant to be a loosish fit so I can pull it on...which I can, but it does involve a little wiggle.  I will have to add width next time.


I like the upper portion of this top, so I think I will make it again with a different skirt portion.  I think it will be a great pattern for mixing prints.

6 comments:

  1. Firstly, I like the top and the diamond front is really lovely. Nothing I have seen before and really interesting. I love the colours too. I don't think the skirt looks so bad but maybe slightly fewer gathers would be better. I was just wondering today if others take out their basting and gathering stitches (I do).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and interesting approach !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like that back design. Very cool. I'm slow with any kind of binding and finishing, too - I just don't get a good result when I rush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice top and very flattering. I like the diamond design very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! You are doing such neat things with this class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your diamond inset is very cool and 10 points for accurate corners. It is harder than it looks. BTW the back view is nice. don't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete