Another dress! I will have a wardrobe full of dresses by the time I have completed this craftsy course. This time, the bust and waist darts were moved around to form neckline pleats.
Actually, the lesson was for neckline gathers, but I thought this fabric would work better with pleats.
My narrowest point is a couple of inches above my waist. On this dress,
I did not follow the side curve so closely, as it doesn't always sit so
well (feels like the side seam should be clipped), but, after wearing
the dress for a bit, I think I do need to take it in a bit more at the
bodice side seams. I have noticed on several of the Donna Karan for
Vogue patterns over the years that she often has a triangular piece at
the bottom of the bodice waist, which would allow me to get a better fit
there...I will try that idea out in a later rendition.
For the skirt, I followed another lesson to draft a tulip skirt, only I used 3 pleats instead of 1 large pleat, to mimic the neckline pleats.
Initially, I wanted a fully pleated skirt; however, the fabric print had large white areas that I did not want to use, which left me a bit short on fabric. The tulip skirt has a plain back. The bottom of the skirt is pegged by 1" on each side.
The back bodice has a scooped out neckline. There is an invisible zipper at the CB. I added a cap sleeve. I have not done the drafting course on sleeves yet, so I borrowed a sleeve from Vogue 8552. I did a little bit of print matching, by following the horizontal lines of the brush strokes in the print from front to back.
The fabric is a stretch cotton sateen from Emmaonesock.