Last Friday, I pulled a crumpled note out of the bottom of my son's school bag, asking for him to dress as a rock star for a rendition of an Alice Cooper song at his school concert, on Monday. He outgrew all of his jeans months ago and I have been promising him new ones, either made or bought, for a long time now. This was the push I needed to get on with it.
I used a pattern from Burdastyle 11/2010, though I left off the coin pocket and the zips on the back pockets. The denim is a beautiful quality stretch denim, which I bought for myself, but have not used because I was given a pair of black jeans that fit me great. I used black top-stitching thread. I would have liked to use black rivets and a black button, but I only had silver.
I didn't have a black zip either. I modified the pattern to have an adjustable waist band. I'm glad I did this, because even though the pattern was for 65 cm hips, and his hips measure 63 cm, I still needed to pull that elastic in quite a bit.
The fit through the legs is skinny. This makes a nice change, as many children's pattern are very roomy. I intentionally made them long...jeans take a bit of work and I want them to last for a bit.