I've returned to an earlier project, the Marfy shorts. Thank-you to Belinda, Jenny, Christine and Mem for helping me out with my Marfy pattern puzzle. The consensus is that the lower half of the patch pockets have a vertical zippered opening. Whilst I was thinking how to do this, I pulled out some King Gee shorts. I have learnt a few construction techniques by studying King Gee clothing. One of the pairs of shorts had a zippered welt opening in a side seam. This would be on the opposite side of the pocket than the Marfy pattern indicated, but I decided to try this technique out anyway.
I took some photos of my practice run.
The brown fabric is the main fabric. I have interfaced the edge, to a width of about 5 cm. The floral fabric will become the welt. This welt fabric should be interfaced.
Now for the real thing. Wish me luck!