14.5.10

Marfy Pattern Puzzle

HELP NEEDED!

I ordered Marfy pattern 1668, which features in their current catalogue.  You can see a picture of it at the Vogue website  Marfy 1668 (sorry, I can't work out how to put a picture here).

The model looks like she is putting her hand in a side pocket.

The pattern description is "These sporty, safari shorts have turned up cuffs, patch pockets with flaps and underlying welt pockets closed with zippers."

Given the pattern number, I am wondering if the pattern was first featured in the 2008 summer collection.

Anyway, here are some photos of the pattern pieces laid out.



The flap matches up at point P.  The patch pocket doesn't seem to fit accurately.  If I line it up with the line that looks like a pocket placement, the pocket is a smidge too wide and long to match up with the notches at H.  So, am I putting the pocket in the wrong place.  The horizontal lines halfway down the patch pocket say "fine stitchings".  I had assumed they meant top-stitching.  If I pleat there, the pocket is too short.  The only other thing I can think of is to put pin tucks there, but why would you?  And still, this doesn't solve the slightly too wide bit.  The bottom right vertical edge of the patch pocket says "zip".  I'm struggling to imagine where the welts / zip goes and what the underlying pocket is.  There are no underlying pocket pieces or welt pieces.  Maybe the "underlying pocket" is the bottom half of the patch pocket?


If anyone has any ideas or a picture from the 2008 catalogue, I would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Sew-4-Fun said...

Katherine, I had a really quick look. Looking at how the model has her hand in the pocket, my impression is the pocket opening and flap is vertical not horizontal. HTH

Jenny said...

Argh, I keep clicking on photos and losing my prepared comments!!! Anyway, I've been looking at this for way too long but may have figured it out. It looks like that pocket piece (shown on the left) creates two separate pockets. In the top half is a horizontal patch pocket with flap over top, and in the bottom half is a vertical zippered pocket. The two are separated at the "fine stitching" lines. So the "underlying" zipped pocket is actually "below", not "inside." if that makes any sense. It would help if the drawing didn't have the vest covering the interesting parts of the shorts, huh? :-) This doesn't explain why the pocket bag is too wide unless it just has extra ease for storing stuff... So yeah, that's my crazy analysis.

Carrickters said...

this is the first time I've ever responded to a blog post but was so curious I did get out my Marfy 2008 Spring/Summer catalogue to check your shorts. (You were right it's on page 48 in the catalogue.)

Jenny is right when she says there are actually two pockets on the one pattern piece - an upper one with a flap and a lower one with a vertical zippered opening separated by those stitching lines. However, the lower one is not a welt pocket as we know it - I think the Marfy english description is at fault there. The french description says that it is a small inside pocket with a zip opening, nothing about welts.
I can't think of any reason why the piece appears so wide (question - is it wider than the pocket flap?). Could they maybe have allowed extra wide seams for putting in the zip?

mem said...

MMMM I wonder if the pocket is included in what looks like a dart ??? The only other thing is that maybe it is just ease so that you can put your hands or the kitchen sink in your pockets!!