I don't know why it has taken me so long to get on the jumpsuit bandwagon. Possibly because this is the sort of clothing I used to wear in my teens / twenties...you know, not taking on the fads the second time around. Anyway, I should have got there sooner because I love wearing this jumpsuit.
There are plenty of jumpsuit patterns to choose from, but non of them was quite what I wanted. I thought it would be just as easy to start with a trouser patter that I already had, and make the required changes, as it would be to buy a new pattern and make alterations. Both options would require a muslin.
I didn't want patch pockets, because they never seem to sit right once you fill them up. I didn't want in-seam pockets, because they flap about. I wanted curved inset pockets, which would necessitate a waist seam, at least in the front.
I started with the Jalie 3676 Vanessa Pants, and made the following changes
- I added an inch to each side seam (ie total 4" added ease)
- I lowered the crotch by 3 cm (just watch me flit between metric and imperial)
- I added 5 cm to the waist height, which is the same height as the Jalie Vanessa waistband. I kept the back darts, extending them up to the new waist seam.
- I increased the height of the pocket pieces 5 cm to match. I also made the pockets a bit deeper, as the ones in my Vanessa pants are a bit shallow for my phone
- I created a bib shape for the front and back, with a bit of trial and error. The side curves on the bibs are quite low. They are actually are as high as I can make them without having to add a side opening, being pear shaped and all.
- the tops of the bibs are folded over. The side edges are finished with self-made bias binding.
- the straps are just rectangular tubes. They might have looked better a bit skinnier. I went with ties instead of buttons, because I thought the button holes would drag with the weight of the jumpsuit in this linen.
- I cropped the leg length and sewed a deep double fold hem that can be turned up as a cuff. Not that the cuffs stayed up on my walk to the beach. I might have to stitch them up.
The fabric is a beautiful linen twill from Tessuti. It has a thin white stripe running through at about 5 cm intervals, but that is not showing up in the photos.
It turns out that having a big red blob in the middle of your photo creates some fun filter effects, so here are some more photos for you.