1.10.19

The Assembly Line Cuff Top

After seeing Fadanista's Cuff Tops, I decided I needed to try out this pattern for myself.  As I've stated previously, I am ambivalent about cut-on sleeves.  They seem to be fashionable, but personally, I find regular sleeves more comfortable.  For this reason, I wanted to use stash fabric to test out the pattern, rather than race out and buy something fabulous.  

After perusing my stash, I decided on a cotton voile, originally from EmmaOneSock.  I have a few cotton voile prints in my stash.  I bought them years ago, before I realised that I don't quite know what to do with a cotton voile.  You think voile is going to be cool and summery, but the softness of it falls against your skin, so it is not as cool to wear as a crisper cotton.  Also, it often needs lining, which seems to defeat the purpose of a cool cotton.  It is not sun protective enough to use for a summer cover up.  I don't wear floaty scarves.  What does everyone else do with voile?

Anyway, now that I don't live in the tropics, I thought I could use it for this top and wear it over a camisole.  I made this top a few months ago, and have been waiting for a chance to wear it.  The day these photos were taken, I wore it over a bamboo singlet.  We had some visitors, and being my first September in Perth, we set out in search of wild flowers.

The only change I made to the pattern was a narrow chest adjustment, so that the boat neck would sit better for me.






2 comments:

Tropical Threads said...

1) totally hear you on how to use, or not, voiles.
2) Cut-on sleeves, I find hot, for the record :-D
3 Top looks great. What did you think of Assembly Line patterns? I'm about to buy their apron, never used them before.
4) I'll be in Perth some time before Feb. Let's meet up! Oooh I have another sew-sister in that neck of the woods. Hmmm.... possibilities....

Oh, and yeah. Wildflowers round Perth <3 <3 <3

katherine h said...

Hi Tropical Threads, I would love to see you in Perth. Would you email me at Katherine dot peter at bigpond dot com