4.6.19

Assembly Line Apron Dress



I loved the aesthetic of the Assembly Line Apron Dress when it was first released, but it is rather an expensive pattern, and shipping costs would have made it more so.  Now that I live in a city and am not necessarily limited to online and holiday shopping, a whole new lot of resources have opened up to me.  I was delighted when I found this pattern stocked at Calico and Ivy.

I had this fabric in stash, patiently waiting for some version of a pinafore.  I purchased it a while back from Miss Matatabi.  The large white squares printed on the fabric are not printed evenly across the width of the fabric.  It is a large scale print, and I couldn't visualise how it was going to look made up.  I could have spent days overthinking, but life is short, so I just took to it with the scissors and cut the front with the print symmetrical and the back with the print not symmetrical (thinking symmetry at the back might have the opposite of a slimming effect).  Due to the width of the fabric, I had to cut the dress out on the cross grain, but I don't think that this is a problem.

I cut a straight size M, with my only fitting changes being the length of the straps and the placement of the buttons.  The straps are only basted in place because it always takes me a while to be happy with the length. I have changed them once already.  In keeping with the work wear aesthetic of the design, I used spare buttons from some King Gee uniforms.  I like these buttons because you thread a piece of ribbon through the button and sew the ribbon to the clothing, rather than hand stitch the button in place.  The pockets are positioned on the garment so that they are not quite flat, which allows room for the hand to slip into the pocket.  If I make this again, I might exaggerate that a bit more, as I still find it a bit hard to put my hands in the pockets.  



My family is a bit nonplussed by this garment.  They are not sure why I would want to wear an apron out of the house.  

3 comments:

Tropical Threads said...

LOL re your family :-D

I'm so in love with this pattern but it's just a bit more expensive (by a long way!) than I can afford for patterns. Sadly. So I shall just admire yours and be even more in love with this pattern. I took a good look at the line drawing and decided it was too hard for me to draft. Sadly.

The mercury has plunged to 26-28C maximums this week, so I've been able to wear sort of two layers! So exciting! I am wearing my pinafore that looks like an apron, with a pretty red t-shirt underneath.

Maybe if this freezing weather continues (it won't but hey, just in case...) I can consider making another pinafore dress. Hmmm....

katherine h said...

This dressing for cold weather does require a bit more thought. I much prefer the tropics!

Tropical Threads said...

Yes. Me too.

I've been trying to work out how to stay warm when I go down to Canberra in a few weeks. *shudders*

I just noticed your tights. Most kewl!