13.8.18

Jalie Clara leggings

Okay, so blogging has fallen by the wayside around here.  I'll ease back into it with a quick post about a quick project, the Jalie Clara high waisted leggings.

Usually I prefer my leggings to sit lower on the waist, but there were so many positive reviews about this pattern (which I had already bought for my daughter), that I decided to give it a go.  It helps that it is a really quick sew.

Barbara, over at Sewing on the Edge, suggested sewing up the waistband first to test the size.  I  had a pair of leggings sitting in my mending pile for quite a few months because the fabric was still good but the elastic had gone.  Barbara's comment gave me the brilliant idea of cutting off the top of these leggings, and adding the Clara waist, rather than unpicking the elastic.  This worked a treat and the leggings have been reinstated as one of my favourites.

I then sewed up the real pair in this lolly pink supplex.  I chose the size based on my hip measurement and sewed a straight size, rather than sizing down the waist for my pear shape.  This stretch in this fabric is not quite as firm as my test fabric, so the waist has ended up a little loose.  It doesn't help that I didn't add the elastic at the waist, because I didn't want to end up with another pair of leggings where the fabric outlasted the elastic.  I also knew that I would not wear these for running because I like pockets when I run.  Even though the waist is a little loose, these have seen plenty of wear for the physique57 online barre classes that I do at home, particularly because the mornings this winter have been cooler than usual.

I did wear them for a run the day I made them, but only because they were hot off the machine minutes before I met my running group.  These photos were taken before the run.  I had to hitch them up repeatedly during the run.





I had a disastrous experience with the Jalie Cora tights a while back, but the Clara has worked out so well that I am going to try the Isabelle leggings next, perhaps adding a thigh pocket to the pattern.  If they work out, I might even revisit the Cora tights, in a stretchier fabric than my first pair.  

1 comment:

Tanit-Isis said...

These look great! It’s interesting to hear a comparison of the different patterns. I have the Cora but I haven’t tried them yet.