24.8.16

Metallic Linen Joggers

Sewing is my relaxation at the moment, so I have been sticking to relatively quick and easy projects.

I bought this interesting fabric from Oddz and Endz in Noosa, before they closed.  I was told that it was linen, though it must be a linen blend because one side of the fabric is shiny.  It certainly creases like linen though!  Initially I had Vogue 1323 earmarked for this fabric, but when I had a recent binge on Burda sale patterns, I picked up Burda 6938.  Burda pants are generally a better draft for me, and this one had a lower waistline, which I prefer, so I went with the Burda.  I did like some of the features of the Vogue pattern, so I cherrypicked the features I wanted and added them to the Burda pattern.





I made the following changes to the Burda pattern;

I changed the pocket opening.  The pattern originally called for in-seam pockets, but I wanted to make a bit more of a feature of them.


I added a single back jetted pocket.  These are only elastic-waisted pants, but the fit at the back looks pretty good.  The only fitting change I made was to reduce both the front and back crotch extensions, which is a pretty typical alteration for me.  I didn't make a muslin first.  I just sort of guessed how much to shorted the extensions.


I added elasticated cuffs.  My cuffs are 4 cm wide, to suit the elastic I used.  Initially I removed 4 cm in length from the pattern, before adding the cuff, but this wasn't enough.  In the end, I removed 9 cm in length before adding the cuff.  I am about the height that Burda patterns are drafted for (168 cm), but I have a long body / short legs, so maybe this is why I had to remove extra.


I put elastic in all 3 rows of the waistband casing, not just the outer two.




Being pear-shaped, it may not be the best idea to put something light and shiny on my bottom half. This seemed  more obvious when I looked back at the photos than it did in the planning phase, but I have already worn these out several times and plan to keep on doing so!

10 comments:

Blogless Anna said...

They look great Katherine

Megan O said...

I love these - very 'fashion blogger'. They look great in the metallic linen too.

overflowingstash said...

From these photos I can't even tell that you're pear shape - you look well proportioned in this, so enjoy it! :-)

overflowingstash said...

From these photos I can't even tell that you're pear shape - you look well proportioned in this, so enjoy it! :-)

overflowingstash said...

From these photos I can't even tell that you're pear shape - you look well proportioned in this, so enjoy it! :-)

Gail said...

You are not so pear shaped that you cant wear light and shiny. Love your pants, especially the pocket alteration and the addition of the jetted pocket add class.

deadlycraft said...

I LOVE these pants! I now feel an uncontrollable urge to find metallic fabric to make something similar :)

deadlycraft said...

I LOVE these pants! I now feel an uncontrollable urge to find metallic fabric to make something similar :)

Sue said...

Metallic is right on the money right now. I love a good slouchy pant and made up in this linen makes it that bit dressier. Love them.

AllisonC said...

These look so cool on you. I love the look of mixing dressy fabrics with casual patterns.