19.6.16

Jeans No. 4 and a Mandy Boat Tee

I once heard somebody joke that white linen pants is what you wear once you turn 40.  I am wondering if maybe the same extends to white jeans.  I have never owned white jeans before, but suddenly, they seem like a very useful wardrobe basic.  Well, except for the keeping them clean bit. These were actually starting to look grubby before I even finished sewing them.

These photos are a bit grainy because they were taken at sunset, at Palm Cove.  White jeans did seem to be perfect for a winter weekend visit to Cairns.




At the time of sewing, I thought that these jeans were going to be perfect, so I even took the time to put in rivets.  I planned a looser style than my previous pairs, though I ended up taking them in again at the thighs and just leaving the lower legs wider.  Making them looser just seemed to exacerbate the wrinkle issues.  They look okay in these photos, because I have hitched them up at the back, but you will see in a later photo what happens when I am not posing for a photo.


I thought a Mandy Boat Tee in a coral pink linen knit would be the perfect accompaniment to the white jeans and a Cairns weekend. 



I used to love boxy tees, but lately, I am not feeling the love.  This was great for the weekend, but I confess that oversized tops make me feel a little oversized these days.  I have another oversized tee that I made last year and never blogged...I am thinking of cutting it back down to a regular t-shirt.


In this last photo, you can see what happens when I have been wearing the jeans for a while.  The back slips down and there is a lot of sagginess going on.  The good news is that I think I have corrected this in Jeans No. 6!

14 comments:

Blogless Anna said...

Jeans number 6... Gosh you have stamina!

katherine h said...

My stamina is definitely fading now. I think it will be quite a while before No. 7

Raquel from J.C. said...

Wow! I wish I have your determination! May the force be with you and you find your perfect pattern!

Nancy said...

What pattern is the top you have on in the first photo?

Nancy said...

What pattern is the top you have on in the first photo?

Jen L said...

The jeans look really good. As for the late sagginess, I wonder if it is a stretch denim. I tend to have that problem with stretch fabrics. After 2 fails last summer I gave up and made shorts in a non-stretch twill. A fabric with a good stretch recovery factor can be elusive.

katherine h said...

Hi Nancy, The top is self-drafted. There are some details in this post
http://sewblooms.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/top-with-gathered-yoke.html

mem said...

Hello . I do admire your determination . I always found that the fabric is everything with Pants fitting . I think because they get so warm on our bodies they sag and something that was a good fit in the morning gets droopy by lunch time . I just started to wear a belt and accept that the photos taken of people wearing Jeans were probably taken 2 min after they put them on . !! Now I use a hell of a lot of The stretchy wovens . Really good ones can be got at Style Arc . The quality is excellent and they are pretty good at staying the way they were when I put them on in the morning and going through the day doing exercise and life in general. Not the same as denim though I have to admit !!

Megan O said...

Palm Cove you lucky duck! The jeans look lovely on the beach and like a different pair in the photos taken inside. Like others, I wonder if it's the fabric. I find that my jeans generally get better fitting as they age and are washed. They often look much better a few months after I took the blog photos!

fabric epiphanies said...

I am looking forward to seeing pair number 6 and how you fixed the problem. Meanwhile I am waiting for rivets and buttons to arrive from China.

Summer Flies said...

I had white jeans that I absolutely adored when I was about 21 so don't sweat it - although that was nearly a lifetime ago..LOL. I think they look great but have to agree I hate when jeans sag. If I could find some nice white denim I would make some too. I don't love the oversize tee as I do think they can make you feel oversized but I have a couple I wear around the house or for just throwing on.

Gail said...

I love white jeans - you've really nailed the fit this time. And I have to agree that the oversize tee has its place - lounge wear not to be seen beyond the threshold unless worn over a swimsuit. But I have different views about slightly oversized - perverse i know!

Sue said...

The jeans look great and I love the tropical print top with them. I would love a pair of white jeans/pants but living in a red soil area with a dog... it won't happen (unless I buy shares in Napisan). I am with you on the over sized top. I loved them when I made them, but I don't wear them often.

Anonymous said...

I love these pattern making and could really do with making myself some.