I have a big inertia factor to overcome when it comes to dyeing. The mess. Past splotchy results. Colours that don't end up quite how I imagined. In fact, it has taken me over a year to try out some acid dyes I bought for dyeing bra notions. I ordered just a couple of colours when I ordered tie dye kits for my kids the Christmas before last.
So I was a teensy bit excited when I pulled my elastic our of the jug and it was a brilliant fluoro yellow colour.
I dyed a small piece of power mesh and a hook and eye closing at the same time (see photo below), which also worked out wel, (although I decided not to use them). I had heard good things about Makebra DL03, so I thought I would test it out whilst I was being all experimental. It fits me about as well as a RTW bra, which is not that great. So, sadly, that bra has gone off to Vinnies. The knickers were also a bit of a dud. They were from a self-drafted pattern that I have used before, but they seem a bit small in this lycra. Also, that mesh cross-over bit did not really work out as a design feature. So, nothing new to add to my underwear drawer, which is badly in need of new stock
The other dye colour was a strawberry red, which I tested out on some scrap lycra. I'm hoping there is enough of the scrap to sew a Watson, but there may not be. The orange pieces were from random mixing of the red and yellow dyes. I actually have quite a hodge podge of bra making stuff in my stash at the moment. Plenty of bits and pieces, but not really a collection of fabrics and elastics that inspires me. I don't know whether to stock up, or make do with what I have for the moment. When I do re-stock, I know I will be buying more dye colours and plain white notions for sure.