This pattern has been around for a while now, so I had the benefit of reading plenty of reviews first, which led me to address the following issues with some pattern changes ;
- Armholes too low - I raised the armholes, but I'm not sure how much I raised them in the end, because I raised them a whole heap, and couldn't move my arms, and so had to lower them again.
- Shoulders winging out - I folded down the shoulder on the back overlay, as shown in the photo below.
- Ties wrapping under boobs - I made the ties a lot narrower and changed the angle of them, as shown in the photo below
- Tie meant to be made in a fabric with 2 good sides - I followed Katie's lead and made a facing for the ties. I changed the construction order. I only partly sewed the shoulder seam, then I used self fabric bias strips to finish the back armhole, to the front armhole and then the back overlay down to the facing.
- Back of dress pulling back due to the weight of the overlay - actually, I didn't overcome this problem. I have been wearing this dress quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, but this does annoy me sufficiently that I won't be making another version of this pattern. I do really like the back neck gathers and the front V neck, so I may adapt the pattern to make a top.
The fabric is a rayon from Lincraft.
My sewing has been pretty seasonal lately...this summer I have made this rayon dress, 2 rayon tank dresses, a yet-to-be blogged Tessuti Colette top and a handful of tank tops. I made a pair of swimmers today. Now I just need a couple of pairs of shorts and a new kaftan would be nice, but there won't be time before our Christmas holiday. I did order some shorts online, but the site I ordered from has changed their sizing and they were all way too big...serves me right for thinking I could get away with not sewing something :)