7.5.15

Boat neckline dress from Craftsy class

Finally, finally, I have got past all those sloper muslins to sew a real dress in the Crafsty patternmaking class I am taking.





The pattern is self-drafted, with a boat neckline, waist darts, pencil skirt and exposed back zipper.  Last time I sewed an exposed zipper (back in 2008), only the teeth were exposed.  This time I went with the whole zipper tape exposed, as I felt this suited the fabric.  The zip is actually one amongst a bundle I bought on Ebay about 10 years ago.

The fabric (still available) is a stretch denim from EmmaOneSock.  The more faded colouring in the photos is most accurate, and the print is not as clear as the photos suggest.  The print has both a plaid  and floral design.  The plaid does not stay square, so I did not try and match stripes.  I couldn't even get  both horizontal and vertical stripes to stay that way, so I just went with vertical. 

I really like the colouring of this fabric.  Winter colours like black and grey and nave do not suit me.  This fabric has a grey base with greens and aubergines printed over the top, so I feel it is a subdued wintery colour that suits my skin tone.

The dress is fitted, but the fabric is stretchy, so I found it very comfortable at work today.

18 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! This is a fantastic dress with fantastic fit! Well done with the drafting and I, too, think the exposed zip looks perfect with this fabric and dress.

Sigrid said...

You got a great result with the drafting, wonderful dress.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous dress. It epitomises everything about why we sew: great fit, unique and beautiful fabric, interesting details like the exposed zip and a style that flatters.

Summer Flies said...

Ditto Sewinggelle! It's such a lovely fit and the colours are great on you.

Robyn said...

You have a great eye for fabric - love the fit and style of this dress. I think the neckline really suits you.

Dilliander said...

Great result and lovely dress. The muted colours are gorgeous too.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful fit! Which class did you take? Your hard work shows and was certainly worth it.

Sharon said...

Fantastic results as your dress looks amazing, the muted colours are perfect.

Sue said...

Love the fabric and the fit looks great!

liza jane said...

The fit is fantastic. And the exposed zip is perfect. You pick the best fabrics! Between this and your wide leg linen pants-- I need your fabric vision :)-

katherine h said...

Thank-you :) First I did the bodice sloper class with Suzy Furrer and now I am using that sloper in the creative necklines class

Gail said...

Well done. Being able to draft your own patterns is liberating for sewers. It helps creativity and makes fitting your existing patterns so much easier.

Merche Martinez said...

Katherine!!! Wow! You reached a milestone! Drafting your own pattern for a boat neck dress! It is in my list of "to do" but I changed size and making a new moulage and so on looks quite a lot of work right now.
Congratulations!

Rebecca G said...

i'm so flattered that you added me to your blogroll! I like your style tons, thanks for linking us up :)

Merche Martinez said...

Hello again! About draftng the dress for the girl, and probably this is not an orthodox method, I drafted the front as the back, then making a different neck and armhole lines...and a lot of muslins!!

fabric epiphanies said...

What a gorgeous dress! It looks lovely on you.

Audrey said...

Well you definitely get an A+ grade in the Craftsy class. I have an "incomplete" because I never completed the homework. Wow! Great looking dress, both the fit and the fabric.

simi said...

Can u pls tell, how u stichd this dress, its beautiful...