Finally, finally, I have got past all those sloper muslins to sew a real dress in the Crafsty patternmaking class I am taking.
The pattern is self-drafted, with a boat neckline, waist darts, pencil skirt and exposed back zipper. Last time I sewed an exposed zipper (back in 2008), only the teeth were exposed. This time I went with the whole zipper tape exposed, as I felt this suited the fabric. The zip is actually one amongst a bundle I bought on Ebay about 10 years ago.
The fabric (still available) is a stretch denim from EmmaOneSock. The more faded colouring in the photos is most accurate, and the print is not as clear as the photos suggest. The print has both a plaid and floral design. The plaid does not stay square, so I did not try and match stripes. I couldn't even get both horizontal and vertical stripes to stay that way, so I just went with vertical.
I really like the colouring of this fabric. Winter colours like black and grey and nave do not suit me. This fabric has a grey base with greens and aubergines printed over the top, so I feel it is a subdued wintery colour that suits my skin tone.
The dress is fitted, but the fabric is stretchy, so I found it very comfortable at work today.