13.2.15

Pneuma Tank meets XYT!



I bought the Pneuma Tank the moment it was released.  Only I didn't make it up straight away because I didn't have enough bra strapping to match fabrics in my stash.  I could have used my coverstitch and binding to finish edges and extend into straps (and I will do this one day), but I kept thinking how great the Pneuma tank would be if you could change the straps, on whim / with fabric choice, just like the XYT workout top.

I used the XYT as inspiration rather than use the actual pattern pieces.  This is only because I prefer a slightly different neckline than the XYT.  I used my support tank sloper to draw in an X back that would connect with the front of the pneuma tank. You could totally use the XYT pattern though...just remember to extend the upper back pieces to meet the front of the pneuma.  If you lay the XYT front on top of the pneuma tank you will be able to see how long this extension needs to be.







 I used elastic to finish the edges.  I stitched it down with a zig-zag rather than my coverstitch because I was getting low on matching thread.


The bra part of the top is from cotton lycra and the tank fabric is a lightweight, cool knit remnant.  I decided to leave the hem raw.


I would not be surprised if this becomes my favourite running top.  I like top / bra combos because it is one less thing to pull on if you are exercising in the wee hours of the morning or if you are packing to go on holiday and it saves trying to co-ordinate bra / top in the dark, if, like me, you want everything to match.  This top should be much cooler than my support tanks because the main fabric is lightweight and probably does not contain lycra and the style is loose fitting.


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this variation! The Pneuma tank is such a great loose fit and works so well with the XYT bra style. You make exercise wear construction seem so effortless, but I continue to struggle with elastic at the edges - I know it must come down to the right combination of materials, equipment and practice. You are an inspiration!

katherine h said...

Thanks Joanne! I have had lots of practice at attaching elastic at the edges. I find it easier to use rubber elastic. I feed it through my overlocker with the elastic on top of my fabric. I increase the stitch length on my overlocker to 5. I reduce the foot pressure on my overlocker to L (I can do this on my newer overlocker.). Sometimes I use an attachment to feed in the elastic. If not, I only pull the elastic just tighter than the length of fabric it is being attached to. Hope this helps :)

Sue said...

I have bought this pattern but have not been game to make it yet as I have not been very successful at making a sports bra. I really love this though and need to try it again.

Summer Flies said...

That's very helpful for me. Katherine, do you mean the white rubber elastic (swimwear elastic) with no covering rather than the clear swimwear elastic? That's a great marriage of patterns. I also love the tank in the previous post... the blocking is really lovely.

Megan O said...

This looks like something you'd pay a fortune for in a certain shop! The fit of the bra looks excellent from the back. I think I might need a few of these!

katherine h said...

Thanks Summer Flies! Yes, the white rubber elastic. It is usually 8 or 9 mm wide and 1 mm thick. You can buy it in 10 m lengths from Glitter and Dance and it is much cheaper than regular elastic.

Linda (ACraftyScrivener) said...

What a great idea, and it looks wonderful and cool.

Rebecca G said...

i've made 2 pneuma tanks, and they're quite a puzzle to put on with all of that bra straping flopping around.;) you've solved that, and the notions challenge, brilliantly! love it.

Crab and Bee said...

What a great piece! I love the concept of the Pneuma but the two straps always seemed to make the fabric between them collapse. I just found a bra/top combo at the thrift store and I'm a convert, too - so easy to wear.

Audrey said...

Thanks for pointing out the Pneuma pattern. It is a really clever idea to attach a looser tank type bottom over a sports bra. It would make a very versatile wardrobe piece I could use for workouts or as a casual summer top with no bra required. I like your version, without all the little straps.

AllisonC said...

I've been wanting to do this with the XYT tank underneath so it's really great to see your fantastic finished version and this post will be really helpful when I get around to it I'm sure.

Tropical Threads said...

I was just watching the news thinking I was glad you were no longer in Nhulabboy, then I remembered you'd moved to Gladstone. Uh, nooooo Marcia's worse than Lam.
Stay safe, my fellow tropical sewsista!

(Oh and I love how you've interpreted these patterns. I've been thinking about making a top like it but I don't really know how to access the fabrics I'd want to make it from. Oh well!)

Bryanna Johnson said...

Wow-that looks great! I just found your blog and I'm impressed with all your workout wear.

katherine h said...

Yes, I was watching the one in Nhulunbuy for several days, keeping in touch with friends there, and then we got out own....but we only got the tail end of it so just a bit windy. I am feeling for those in Yeppoon just now.