Stylearc Amber Woven Blouse
Stylearc is a pattern company that I have been wanting to love, but haven't quite. This top is the Amber Woven Blouse, and I think it has been my most successful stylearc project so far.
I think that the success is largely due to the fabric choice. It is a stretch silk georgette, which is not a fabric that I have used before. It drapes well and I suspect is rather forgiving when it comes to fit. I bought it to make a dress for my daughter and then used something else for her instead. I thought that the fabric would then languish in the stash as it wasn't really "me". Now that I have made this top up, I totally love it.
I changed the pattern a bit to use a wide lace insert. The external facing piece on the original pattern is round. I got the lace from Lincraft, tea-dyed it (though maybe not enough, or maybe it didn't take the tea too well), then found it torn, so had to do some repair embroidery with solvy underneath. This is a technique for machine embroidery that I have read about and never had need to use until now. I also changed to a bias binding on the neck to keep the lace in check.
I only had to make minimal fit changes (I did make a muslin, and then when I went to adjust the pattern, I could not find the muslin and had to guess the changes). I shaped the side seams a little, widened the hip area and raised the front darts.
I will make this pattern again, probably using the colour blocking suggested on the pattern.