23.6.14

My favourite use for Liberty fabric

The bras I make from Liberty are my favourite ones to wear.  Here are my new ones.

1st set:  Bra pattern - self-drafted (Basic, Liberty 3).  I think that the embossed straps are a luxurious detail.  I used a cute, frilly elastic on the decollete. The matching knickers are also from a self-drafted pattern (cheekies with a CB seam).  The stretch lace on the side front panel was much stretchier than others that I have used for this pattern, so I compensated by making some tucks in the front woven panel.  I inserted elastic as a trim into these tucks to turn this flaw into a design feature!




The 2nd set:  Bra pattern - self-drafted (based on foam cup pieces from Gabi bra).  On this one, I did a better job of changing threads to match each stitching line - only one line of stitching on the inside of the bottom band elastic has been sewn with the wrong colour.  I wanted to use white straps, but did not have any.  Instead, I covered the straps in matching Liberty fabric.  The knickers are also self-drafted (based on draft by Shin, red variation).  I added extra width to the front panel to account for the fact that I cut it in a woven instead of a knit.  The frilly elastic on the knickers is very girly.


  

The next bra is an old one that I never blogged, using the same pattern as the 1st set.  I had bought a pink elastic kit, and was disappointed that the elastics were weak / had perished when the kit arrived, so I scrambled around and ended up using 3 different colour elastics.  It all turned out okay and this has been my favourite for a while now.   Only I put it in a front loader washing machine on holidays, which must be harsher than my old top-loader, and elastic "threads" in the power mesh have broken out.



I wanted to get 3 sets sewn over a long weekend (I really needed new bras as all the wires are popping out of my old ones), and was determined to limit myself to proven patterns.  Only then I couldn't find all the bits I needed to match this lovely purple lace.  So I decided to make a strapless bra, to eliminate the need for some of the elastics / findings.  Only then it didn't work.  I used a purchased pattern, and then modified it a bit, based on my own patterns, and the result was a disaster.  There were tears of frustration as the weekend ended.  I then pulled it all apart, hacked a bit, put it back together.  The resulting bra is a little on the skimpy side.  More of a strapless demi-bra, if such a thing exists.  I didn't make matching knickers,  as I am still hoping to get a decent bra from this lace before I use the leftovers in knickers.


12 comments:

Summer Flies said...

All your bras are so lovely! Even though you say it's not a good fit, the purple strapless looks sensational on the flat.

bbarna said...

Try dying your elastics and findings. Lovely job on the undies and bras.

Unknown said...

What pretty lingerie sets. I'm ever inspired by sewing beautiful lingerie. Enjoy.

Unknown said...

I love seeing all the lingerie you make...it's such a work of art!

Marie said...

So gorgeous. I really admire people who sew lingerie.

AllisonC said...

Such pretty sets, it's never even occurred to me to make lingerie from non stretch fabrics. Not that I have made any lingerie in anything!

fabric epiphanies said...

All of them are lovely. I wish I had the vision you have when combining fabrics!

Merche Martinez said...

Oh, my!!! Two wonderful sets of lingerie!! After trying my hand at making lingerie, I must say I am very impressed when I see all these pretty things made up. They look glorious!! My compliments!!

poppykettle said...

Your makes are divine!!! Such a wonderful use of Liberty, I love them all. My absolute favourite little detail is the ruched straps... probably because I had a favourite bra with this detail once (it's long since out of commission). Total bummer on the strapless option - I hope you end up making it work though because that lace is beautiful.

Gail said...

You make the nicest lingerie. I think you could easily make a business out of this.

Anonymous said...

I'm still being inspired to learn how to make lingerie by you! I've been focussing on the undies, and am definitely feeling confident about them. Soon I'm going to launch into bra-sewing. Meep!
I'm with poppykettle on the ruched straps. Really nice! And perfect for the tropics, as it would look really lovely under a singlet top or other tops that inevitably show your bra strap. Of which an awful lot of my wardobe is made of. (In fact, I've been wondering about doing it to some rtw bras.)
However, back to undies, I'm not really clear how you made the undies up? Can you clarify? Also did you use a pattern designed for both stretch and wovens, or did you adapt one you already had?

Fran Ponta said...

I stumbled across you blog while googling 'handmade workout wear' and am so happy I did. I'll be coming back here for inspiration and motivation for sure. Gorgeous! (I've already ordered a couple of patterns from Papercut). Love your work.