2.4.14

Fehr Trade Duathlon Shorts


The exercise clothing I make would have to be my most wears-per-garment sewing projects.  The washing cycle around here is not particularly short and I exercise most days, so I need plenty of exercise clothes.  Ultimately, I get more satisfaction from sewing everyday items, such as exercise clothing or bras, than I do from sewing a dress that may only get worn once or twice a year.  I think it is fabulous that patterns, fabrics and notions for these garments are more readily available now than they were when I first started sewing (though, I still do have to hunt them out...hopefully they will become even more available in the future).

I got to test out Melissa's Fehr Trade Duathlon pattern recently.  The pattern comes in 3 lengths - capri, biker and booty and it has an optional sew-in padding for cyclists.  First up I made the biker length.  My legs are on the short side, so they are a bit longer on me than the design would suggest.


The stripe at the side has an in-built pocket.  Melissa designed it to hold the i-phone 5, but in this stretchy lycra, I can squeeze my i-phone 4 + life proof cover (which I love!) into the pocket.  At first I wasn't too excited by the contrast stripe at the side, but now that I am seeing different versions made up on the internet, I can how fabric choice makes for a really individual look.  Some people have chosen to colour block the top half, some the bottom, and others both.  My favourite so far would have to be Kathy's stripes


Short shorts are my preferred running clothing, just because I live in a really hot climate, so I decided to give the booty length a whirl as well (though, it is a bit shorter and tighter than my typical shorts pattern).  I made some changes to the pattern.  I made them up in a chlorine resistant lycra, so that I could run to the pool and then swim in them (I have made a matching swim crop top, not pictured).  I lined them with swim-wear lining.  I shortened the side panel by about 6 cm and gathered the front and back sides to fit, which makes for a cute detail.


The top in this photo is a previously unblogged project, made from supplex, using Burda 6/2013 114.



 I think my next pair will be somewhere between the booty and biker length.

20 comments:

Sue said...

I love those little swim shorts. I have just come back from Mooloolaba where I wore my old swimwear/activewear togs (tank top with b/i bra and shorts set) that I bought a number of years ago and was admiring the new versions of the activewear/swimwear outfits in the shops. You have inspired me to try and make my own set. Love the gathered detail. BTW if you know of any other stockists of the eclipse supplex I would love to know about them. I am pretty sure Beachbubble has closed its doors now.

kbenco said...

The booty shorts make fabulous swim shorts, what a great idea! The gathering looks so good.
I like your biker length ones too.

Megan O said...

Both pairs look fantastic and not at all like they came from the same pattern. The gathers on the short pair are adorable. You'll give Lululemon a run for their money!

katherine h said...

Oh no, I will be sad to see Beach Bubble go. They still have a website?? I was thinking of contacting them to order more swimwear fabric, so I will find out.

Anonymous said...

Those short ones with the gathering are SO CUTE. I'm so doing that!
Dawn (Two On, Two Off)

Kathy {Kathy Sews} said...

I LOVE your tweak on the booty shorts! I was thinking about making them for a sporty bathing suit bottom and if I do, I have to add the shirring. Such a smart idea. (And thanks for saying such a nice thing about my striped capris :)

Ms. McCall said...

I spotted similar gathering near the them on a pair of fancy RTW capri leggings and loved the look, and wow, I think you've gone even better with the shorty shorts gathering. It's really flattering, and adds a really fab design element. I'm so curious about the supplex, I think I might have to order some and see what all the fuss is about.

Joy said...

You are the queen of activewear! Both shorts look great on you and the colorblocked shirt is really cute, too.

Summer Flies said...

I really like the short, shorts. I love your detailing and what a great idea to make them in swim fabric and use them for swimming too. Love the colour too.

Sharon said...

Love the gathering on the short shorts and the biker length ones look great as well.

Gail said...

Well past the age where I can respectably exercise in shorts, but I think I'd like those gathered shorts for the bottom half of a swim suit. Great work!

fabric epiphanies said...

I love the gathers in the booty shorts and the top goes fantastically!

Gabrielle said...

Those booty shorts look terrific! I think it's the gathering - wow, they just look so good! (Sorry, my verbal skills are dying with the hour.)

cidell said...

These booty shorts are so stinking cute!!!

Amy said...

I love those booty shorts! I haven't made any activewear yet, but I'd like to design my own halter gym top at some point. It's nice to see more patterns in the market!

Melinda said...

Hi Sue, my supplex is from Eclipse. :-)

Gorgeous shorts, I love the gathering detail. I recently made a pair and added two inches to the booty length. It makes a great length for running.

STUDIOFARO said...

Thanks for featuring me in your list of blogs. :) I love the activewear you have been making and I think the booty shorts are divine.

Robyn said...

I absolutely love the blue with the gathers. I know you swim in yours, I think they'd be great as a pair of bikini bottoms.

jess said...

Very cute shorts!!! Wish I was the age to wear them....sigh

I hope you and yours are not affected by the cyclone....please let us know.

katherine h said...

Hi Jess, I no longer live in Qld, so I am not close to the cyclone. I did follow it closely on the radio though...that part of the country will always be in my heart.