20.2.13

Holiday Sewing - Caftan

It has taken me quite a few iterations to get a caftan that I am happy to wear.  First there was the runaway Shepherd's costume from a nativity play.  Next there was a Burda dress with kimono sleeves that never made it to the blog.  More recently, there was the beautifully made linen version, that would have looked perfectly in place on Judi Dench in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel but was not quite right for me.

At the end of last year, I bought a bundle of back issues of Patrones magazines.  I only took a couple of patterns on summer holiday with me, but I included one of these magazines, as it had a large range of styles.  Then I found this fabric reduced at The Fabric Store in Brisbane.  I had admired it on my previous visit to Brisbane, but it was much more attractive at less than half price!


It is basically an oversized shirt.  This pattern has side panels.  I think they are side panels more than princess seams as they run pretty close to the side seams and don't offer much shaping.  Because of the side panels, the splits at the hem are towards the front of the body rather than at the sides. I lengthened the shirt by about 15 cm.  I'm pretty impressed that I worked out how to sew the button placket, as I have not sewn one that stops mid-way down a shirt before and I don't speak spanish, so the magazine instructions are meaningless to me.


It is hard to see, but I put little pockets in the side panels (photo above).  The pockets are further to the side than pockets are typically placed, but I think it is handy to have somewhere to put keys when loading / unloading kids and gear from the car.  The pom-poms were a finishing touch given to me by one of my sisters.



I also added tabs to roll up the sleeves.


I ironed this shirt before we went out on the weekend...not to good effect though.  Just before the above photo was taken, I jumped out of the boat to pull it to shore.  I thought I was jumping into knee deep water, but the water was very clear and dropped away quickly, and I actually jumped into water completely over my head.  Not that I minded though.  We are so wary of crocodiles here that we never jump into deep water...so it was a fun mistake to make! 

10 comments:

RebeccaHoward said...

Love the caftan and the fabric. Scary thought on the crocs. Lucky the water was nice and clear. I recently made the schoolhouse tunic from Sew Liberated. It's a good one too and would look nice made up into lightweight voile.

Kirsty said...

I love your pompom finish. What a great idea.

liza jane said...

Nice! I love the pom pom trim at the bottom. I just recently tried a placket that ended halfway down a shirt front. I was not very successful. I ended up extending the placket instead of attempting it again!

Robyn said...

Love the pom pom trim - looks like a great cover up. I always admire the beautiful beaches up your way but the threat of crocs would definitely keep me out of the water!

poppykettle said...

Ooh this fabric is popular! Rachel from MyMessings made a dress out of the exact same fabric and I've been admiring it! Love it with the pompom trim :)

Gabrielle said...

I absolutely love this cover up.. love the fabric, the rollup sleeves, the length, the pom poms... and what a gorgeous last photo - makes me ache to be on a beautiful beach!

Amy said...

Crocodiles! Eek. Yet another cool print and a great cover up. I love tabbed sleeves like that and the pompom detail.

Gail said...

That is so cute. I swear I'm not copying, recently I bought some green pompoms from Tessutis to highlight a linen print I've had in stash. What was the plan. A tunic!

SEWN said...

Gorgeous fabric. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh this one looks great, and more You. Less than half price makes it even better. And Love the pompoms around the bottom! You look very tasty; watch out! :-P
(My best friend and I were going along a mangrove walk the other day at high high tide, just before the walkway was inundated. We were speculating how far into the mangroves crocs would go? And what a tasty little morsel my friend's little dog looked! I figured we didn't need to run that fast, just enough to outrun her dog. What meanies! We got home safe and sound though, even the dog (Whom I totally adore) :-D)