1.12.12

A little bit more...

Still sewing bikinis here!  They will be the last pair for a little bit, as I have run out of elastic!  This time, I went for more of the bustier style top that seems fashionable at the moment.


Amy from Cloth Habit and I swapped bra patterns a little whilst back.  I used her long-line, wire-less pattern as my starting point for these.  Instead of using her cup pattern, I covered some foam cups that were a size too small for me.  Being a size too small, I did not want to use them for a bra, but I thought that they would be okay in a wireless swimsuit.


It might be a little bit difficult to see in this photo, but the centre front panel is lined with a non-stretch tricot, to maintain the shape of the cups and offer more support.  I have used bra channeling to help hold the shape also, and to cover the seam allowances, but I have not inserted any wires into this channeling.


I eliminated the back closure.  For the straps, I did not have any elastic in the width that I wanted, so I covered a strip of power mesh.


When I was cutting out the bottoms, I could not decide which style would look best on me proportion wise, with this top, so I hedged my bets and added a wide band to the top.  This band is similar to the band on top of some yoga pants.  This way, I can fold it to the height I want.


Un-folded,  they look like waist-high bikinis.

Fully folded, it is like having a hip band around the bikini.

I will wear them a few times before I decide the height I like and tack into place.  I may even ruche the band.  Ah, the versatility!


11 comments:

Judith said...

Beautiful colours in the fabric for swimmers - love the versatility of the waist band...J

Summer Flies said...

Great top pattern... I love this look. Do you finish them with your overstitch machine?

wendy said...

I really like this style of top! Very stylish & you did a beautiful job on this set. It's freezing and rainy in the northern hemisphere so I'm jealous of the awesome swimming weather you guys are having :)

katherine h said...

Hello Summer Flies,

Sometimes I finish them with my coverstitch, sometimes with the zig-zag on my regular machine. I am sewing on the dining room table at the moment, so it depends on what I have set up, how much other mess is on the table, and what colour threads I have on hand. I'm happy with either method of finishing.

liza jane said...

I LOVE this one. Both the top and bottom. I especially like the band on the bottoms. If I ever get the nerve up to make a bikini, I'm copying this one. Hope that's okay! :D

Gail said...

I really like this style. Can I ask where the fabric is from. I need a new one piec this summer. My bikini wearing days ended in about 85!

Jane M said...

Wow, this is flattering and beautiful and I love that gorgeous fabric.

katherine h said...

Hello Gail,

The fabric is from EmmaOneSock. She doesn't stock swimwear lycra very often though.

Amy said...

Ooh, I like the idea of having a movable hip band to change lengths. That's the kind of bikini I think I could get away with.

Sew Brunswick said...

They're absolutely lovely! I'm making the Ginger bikini by Ohhh Lulu at the moment. Tried to finish before holidays but didn't make it...

kbenco said...

You make the best swimwear. I love the foldable waistband idea.