Still sewing bikinis here! They will be the last pair for a little bit, as I have run out of elastic! This time, I went for more of the bustier style top that seems fashionable at the moment.
Amy from Cloth Habit and I swapped bra patterns a little whilst back. I used her long-line, wire-less pattern as my starting point for these. Instead of using her cup pattern, I covered some foam cups that were a size too small for me. Being a size too small, I did not want to use them for a bra, but I thought that they would be okay in a wireless swimsuit.
It might be a little bit difficult to see in this photo, but the centre front panel is lined with a non-stretch tricot, to maintain the shape of the cups and offer more support. I have used bra channeling to help hold the shape also, and to cover the seam allowances, but I have not inserted any wires into this channeling.
I eliminated the back closure. For the straps, I did not have any elastic in the width that I wanted, so I covered a strip of power mesh.
When I was cutting out the bottoms, I could not decide which style would look best on me proportion wise, with this top, so I hedged my bets and added a wide band to the top. This band is similar to the band on top of some yoga pants. This way, I can fold it to the height I want.
Un-folded, they look like waist-high bikinis.
Fully folded, it is like having a hip band around the bikini.
I will wear them a few times before I decide the height I like and tack into place. I may even ruche the band. Ah, the versatility!