How often do we sewers lament that we didn't finish off something properly, because we were still sewing up hems the moment before wearing the garment out of the house? Well, I had the opposite problem here. This dress languished in my sewing room, just waiting for ties and the binding to be completed because I had nowhere to wear it. We had an unseasonably long winter up here, so even once it was finished, it sat in the wardrobe for a long time. Finally, last week, it got its first outing.
The pattern is a frankenpattern of Vogue 8631 and Vogue 8684. I made a muslin of Vogue 8631 last year and asked for feedback...some of you suggested that it made me look too wide...sadly, it is not the dress making me look wide, that would be my wide bottom making me look wide. However, I do accept that the dress was not disguising my wideness, and much as I love an oversized top, they do hide the petite bits of me that trick people into thinking that I am not a wide person. So I ditched the kimono sleeves and bodged the raglan sleeve and sideseam shaping from Vogue 8684, whilst retaining the wrap and pleating from 8631. In truth, this has saved me from fretting over the unused pattern 8684, which I love, but has a drop waist, which is equally unflattering on me.
this dress. I quite like the clashing combination of fabrics, although my children are not so convinced. My elder son, who has a bit of an eye for fashion, thinks it would have worked if the brown bits of the sleeve print were black.
So, bodgy patterns, bodgy fabric choice, all brought together to make a dress that I absolutely love. I think it looks better in real life than the photos, and it feels gorgeous to wear, all silky and drapy. Perfect for spring.