I'm having to eat my words here. In a recent email correspondence with Jacqui, I was saying that I don't buy many children's patterns, instead just use the same few over and over again with different fabrics. Then I saw on the Ottobre blog that they were reprinting the Spring 2008 issue because it was so popular. Well, I thought I had better have a look at it. It is choc-a-block full of very simple clothes, many with a Japanese aesthetic. So I bought it, and the day it arrived I was so impressed with the designs that I made these pants up straight away. Not too hard given that it only required tracing off 1 pattern piece. For the pants I used a Japanese cotton from Tessuti that I actually purchased for myself. The Selfish Seamstress would not be impressed.
The blouse is made from a remnant of Liberty print cotton lawn. It is a raglan sleeve peasant-style blouse, which will be great for the summer months here. I rushed to complete the embellishments and take photos yesterday because I thought the deadline for the PR children's wear competition was closing. Turns out I go the date wrong. Anyway, one of the requirements is to show photos of any embellishments.
The flowers were made by ironing Vlieseline® Vliesofix Double-sided fusible web between 2 pieces of fabric and cutting out the shape. I didn't know if it would handlethe washing machine so I made it removable. The flower on the front is attached with a snap. Yes Kristy, my snap envy got the better of me and I finally bought my own snap press.
The sides of the legs are gathered with elastic at the hem and embellished with a ribbon.